Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey this is my first time in the networkin part lol my problem is that i want to ssh into my home computer from school i use fedora core 3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

SSH

hey this is my first time in the networkin part
    lol
    my problem is that i want to ssh into my home computer from school
    i use fedora core 3 at home n need help setting it up
    i then need to set the mac from school to reach my server
    i will need an app to install the ssh client software on the mac
    ps its mac osX
    reply if more detail is needed its a bit

Since Mac OS X is based on *BSD Unix, you *should* have an ssh program installed already. It will be command-line, but it should be there. The command-line is hard to find on OS X. If I'm not mistaken it's a program called "Terminal" inside your Applications->Utilities directory. I never remember the name of it though.

Here is an article on using SSH in OS X that might help as well.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Since Mac OS X is based on *BSD Unix, you *should* have an ssh program installed already. It will be command-line, but it should be there. The command-line is hard to find on OS X. If I'm not mistaken it's a program called "Terminal" inside your Applications->Utilities directory. I never remember the name of it though.

[urlhttp://stocksy.is-a-geek.com/information/ssh/ssh.php]Here is an article[/url] on using SSH in OS X that might help as well.
    omg thanks for the quick reply
    i use the terminal anyway so i know about that i didnt think ssh was working...... i was typing shh LOL so just now need help settin up the server side

My home computer is a normal pc

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    SCS
    Just Joined!
    If you are behind a router you need to make sure that it forwards any request on port 22 to the Fedora box. Once the router has been setup you need to make sure that port 22 is open on the Fedora box. There should be some handy GUI application for your firewall if I remember Red Hat/fed correctly. Once you have that working you should be able to SSH in using the IP Address that is given by the ISP(not your local one). The router will forwad the request to Fedora and Fedora will accept it. Then you should be able to log in from your school computer using your regular username/password combo on the Linux box.

I'm not familiar with the Red Hat init system. Just make sure that the SSH daemon is running either at boot or when you want to connect.(Starting it in the morning before school)

Banned
    How do i bring up the server deamon?

SCS
    Just Joined!
    "/etc/init.d/sshd start"
    "/etc/init.d/sshd stop"