Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi..guys...i m tryin to setup a dns server on redhat linux 9 box...i hav 4 pc's networked in a lan..i hav edited the files /etc/hosts ,/etc/resolv.conf ,/etc/named.conf ,/var/named/for.zone ,/var/named/rev.zone these ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help...dns setup problem

hi..guys...i m tryin to setup a dns server on redhat linux 9 box...i hav 4 pc's networked in a lan..i hav edited the files /etc/hosts ,/etc/resolv.conf ,/etc/named.conf ,/var/named/for.zone ,/var/named/rev.zone these files i made one is fwd zone file and reverse zone file..i hav made all the entries..and now when i dig from server to client..i cud resolve...but when i try to resolve from client to server..its givinn host not found..or somethn similar to that..do i need to add entries in the client also..i thought ...lik in windows..the zone files are updated automatically..can someone explain me how to setup dns..step by step..i would like to knw..the working of dns server in linux..
    thank you..
    Fr3@k

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

heres a good howto, give it a try and post any questions you have about using it here!
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

I have registered DNS servers running RH 9. The thing I have to point out is if you make changes the changes don't occur unless you restart the service or reboot the machine. Here is the tricky part the restart function of named is broke in RH9. You will have to restart the service like this
    Code:
    killall named
    /etc/init.d/named start
    Or simply reboot your machine.
    Also there wasn't enough info given to diag your issue, but /var/log/messages do give a lot of info
    Code:
    cd /var/log
    tail -f messages
    the -f switch keeps logs running
    ctrl-c to stop the logs

Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    hey...
    thanx guys..for u suggestion..and i hav checkd tht how to stuff..on tdlp....the thing is..we configure the dns on one machine..and we put up the entries.then on client ..wht config are to be made..do we need to mention all the entries of all the sys in the network..or ..is it just tht nameserver address...coz wht my instructer for RHCE is tellin is ..we hav to make all entries in all machines..but its a lot cumbersome process..lik if we hav 100 clients..we cant just go and enter all the configs in each and every client...i hav made entry in /etc/hosts and resolv.conf..for client machine..the nameserver address.. stuff..i want to ping using the name..i can do tht only if i hav an entry made in /etc/hosts of both client and server...lik i need to knw..if i can do tht only by config server and adding the nameserver address in client..dns is supossed to make things easier...i m not sure if my instructor is aware of dns mechanism..so i need to get clarified..dns is really a huge topic..thankz guys...

Quote Originally Posted by freakrz
    hey...
    thanx guys..for you suggestion..and i hav checkd tht how to stuff..on tdlp....the thing is..we configure the dns on one machine..and we put up the entries.then on client ..wht config are to be made..do we need to mention all the entries of all the sys in the network..or ..is it just tht nameserver address...coz wht my instructer for RHCE is tellin is ..we hav to make all entries in all machines..but its a lot cumbersome process..lik if we hav 100 clients..we cant just go and enter all the configs in each and every client...i hav made entry in /etc/hosts and resolv.conf..for client machine..the nameserver address.. stuff..i want to ping using the name..i can do tht only if i hav an entry made in /etc/hosts of both client and server...lik i need to knw..if i can do tht only by config server and adding the nameserver address in client..dns is supossed to make things easier...i m not sure if my instructor is aware of dns mechanism..so i need to get clarified..dns is really a huge topic..thankz guys...
    ?????????????????????????????????

You mean that the instructeur is telling you that you need to modify all hosts entries on all machines ???????????????????

You'll need one (1) server with DNS (Bind aka. Named)
    x Clients.

Server should contain the following information:

/etc/named.conf

This file has all the basic information for you DNS.
    Including the name and path to the zone files, hints, etc, etc

Usualy you'll find all files for the DNS in /var/named
    Or it it's chrooted, it could be in /var/chroot/var/named.

They only think you need to do on the clienst is to put the following information in the /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver x.x.x.x

Where x is the IP of the DNS server
    This is usualy done with DHCP.
    This will allow default IP settings to be transfered to all network clients on boot time.
    I would suggest to also enable DHCP as you will have all the information on one machine.( DNS and DHCP ) (This will make life a lot easier)

One important note: Leave the /etc/resolv.conf on your DNS server EMTPY.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.