Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i am trying to share my internet connection, i have 3 computer 1 with RH 8 and the other 2 with xp. i can ping all of them but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can share internet connection

hi i am trying to share my internet connection, i have 3 computer 1 with RH 8 and the other 2 with xp.
    i can ping all of them but i can get internet on xp ones.
    my dsl connection in up and runnig on RH 8.
    Please help.
    Thanks in Advance for any help.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Since your in a mixed environment it maybe best to using a proxy server on one of the machines and have the rest all look to it for Internet accesss. You could use Win proxies or Linux proxy like squid. Depends on how familar you are with each OS and monies available.

Just my thoughts,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    Download my IPTables script from here:
    http://www.jasonlambert.net/download.php

set the options at the top of the script, chmod it 700, then run it. ./<scriptname>

After that, go to each of your XP machines, enter the DNS servers of your ISP, and set the Gateway address on the machine to be that of the internal facing ethernet device in your Redhat Box.

Job done

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    He's sharing one connection/ip. The firewall is not going to get his machines connected with one real ip. He needs a proxy. Or am I just too tired
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    He's sharing one connection/ip. The firewall is not going to get his machines connected with one real ip. He needs a proxy. Or am I just too tired
    My firewall script performs packet forwarding, so it acts like a router, therefore no proxy server is needed.

Jason

Just Joined!

Internet Connection Sharing

I have a situation other way round. I have a windows 98 machine which has access to intenet through my CDMA mobile which doesn't work with linux and I would like my linux machines (running SUSE 8.2) to share internet connection with windows machine?

Linux Guru

Just Joined!

Jasons Script and Debian woody

Might be worth mentioning that to run jasons iptables script you need to install ipmasq on debian (and possibly most other distros) for it to work. Otherwise a great script and worked a treat for me. Thank you Jason!

One question however concerning the iptabes script, is that all network activity of the computers I share to is outputed to screen and the kernal log. This in not really a problem apart from making my screen and kernal log messy (and a bit bloated). If there is a way to not log this activaty? Below is the format of the messages I get:
    Code:
    Apr 26 11&#58;42&#58;00 dread kernel&#58; IPT&#58; INPUT&#58; IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00&#58;10&#58;5a&#58;3e&#58;c5&#58;19&#58;00&#58;0b&#58;fc&#58;43&#58;e8&#58;8c&#58;08&#58;00 SRC=82.35.30.93 DST=82.35.233.182 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=124 ID=27988 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=3694 DPT=1433 SE
    Q=3834740412 ACK=0 WINDOW=64240 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0