Find the answer to your Linux question:
Newb has new dialup connection with Intel 536ep internal PCI modem in MDK 10.0.(kernel 2.6.x) Modem drivers on disk were outdated so used latest Intel 536ep chipset drivers and that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

file download stalls

Newb has new dialup connection with Intel 536ep internal PCI modem in MDK 10.0.(kernel 2.6.x) Modem drivers on disk were outdated so used latest Intel 536ep chipset drivers and that installed and compiled OK. Configured in Kppp. Connection seems fine but occasionally Konqueror freezes and have to restart. I have not yet determined a pattern. Also, downloading files from different sites to test modem, but all keep stalling, then I guess there is a reconnect and it continues..stalls....continues...etc. I am able to dwnload 1 to 3mb files but anything more is a hassle. This modem tests out OK on a Wxp Pc on the exact same phone line. Also notice that if someone calls in it disconnects, but I do not have callwaiting. Maybe some settings in the modem commands dialogue box?

The settings in the Kppp are:
    modem device: /dev/modem
    flow cntrl: hdwr (have tried none)
    line term: cr/lf
    conn speed: I have tried 38000 to 115200
    lock file: checked
    mdm timeout: 30 sec.
    Authentication PAP/CHAP
    preinit delay- 50
    init string -ATZ
    post init dly -50
    dial speed -70
    init resp -ok
    no tone det -atx3
    dial string -atdt
    conn resp -connect
    busy resp ? busy
    no carrier ? no carrier
    no tone ? no tone
    hangup -+++ATH
    hngup resp -ok
    answer strng -ata
    ring ? ring
    ans -connect
    dlp resp -digital line detected
    escape +++
    esc resp ? ok
    guard time -50
    vol off/lo/hi M0L0/ MIL1/ MIL3
    SECURITY SETTINGS ARE ? poor
    firewall set to ALLOW CONNECTION TO EVERYTHING

maybe someone can see a simple error and help out.
    Thanks

Linux User
    Did you try the old drivers and have the same or other problems? Newer doesn't necessarily mean better.

My parents had a 536ep based modem and whenever the module was loaded on a 2.6 kernel X would slow to a crawl. It would take 5 minutes for Gnome to load up, another minute and a half for Firefox, etc. I came to the conclusion that either Intel's drivers suck, or there's too much variation between 536ep based modems for the drivers to function properly. I just gave up and bought them a new 3com 2976 for solstice and all is well.

I haven't worked much with Mandrake 10.x, do you have the option to use a 2.4 kernel? Try dialing with wvdial or a standard /etc/ppp/options and the pppd command instead of kppp. You can find a guide on doing that here.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Newbie

Re: file transfer stalls

Being new to Linux I am not sure of how to run 2.4.x kernel.
    Thanks for the tips

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Well, running the 2.4 kernel in a distribution like Mandrake which is highly integrated around 2.6 probably isn't the best idea, if possible. It's more a solution for someone who absolutely must run that distro, and just can't afford a new modem.

Let me know if you get things working.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Newbie

Re: Intel 536

Konqueror does not seem to be hanging up much. If it does, then I stay connected and just open a new occurence of Konq. I have KBear which is an FTP file interface for KDE, but I've never used it. Do I need to use this. I'm used to Windows downloads that don't involve the user in configuring....it just asks where do you want the file.
    Thanks

Linux User
    No, you shouldn't be having these kinds of problems, there's definitely something wrong, probably with your modem and it's drivers. Have you tried any of those alternatives to kppp yet? You might try a live CD from a different distribution too, though I know they can be tough to get on dialup. Morphix has a fairly small one (I'm thinking the XFCE flavor) that I've had good luck with, and it's fairly easy to configure the modem using pppconfig.
    Michael Salivar

--Goethe