Find the answer to your Linux question:
My knowledge of network settings is all but non existant. I bought a "network starter kit" a few years ago. This consisted of a Netgear 4 port hub, cabling and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Completely bemused about networking

My knowledge of network settings is all but non existant. I bought a "network starter kit" a few years ago. This consisted of a Netgear 4 port hub, cabling and NIC's. I wired this up with two NT4 boxes, and it worked in that I could see each machine from the other, and share files.

The setup now is one Win-XP box, one Linux box and an ethernet modem connected to the Hub. Both boxes can access the Internet.

I've now been told on another forum that I can't share files on this system because I have a hub rather than a router. I've also been told that I can't set IP addresses.

The IP addresses that the machines seem to have are 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.7. (I can ping each machine from the other).

I've no idea where these are magiced up from, or if they are consitant over shutdown/boot cycles.

I need to be able to get a stable IP address on each machine so that the sockets based program I'm porting to the Linux box can communicate with the instance running on the windows box.

I would also like to use Samba to set up a share so that I can xfer files from box to box, but at the moment windows can't 'see' the Linux box. Is it really true that I can't do that with a hub? If so, how come I could do it with the two NT boxes?

Thanks for any help.

I can give you some general networking stuff, but no specifics.

The hub you mention means that anything attached to that hub will be on the same LAN. This means that, if you wish, you can have a single TCP/IP (actually IP, but I'm not trying to confuse you here) network. The network part of the TCP/IP address is the first part (the first part, or set of numbers, is defined by something called the netmask - which is sometimes shown as a set of bits (which is all the whole address really is) or a hex number or, best of all, a set of decimal numbers).

If you make all of your devices (PCs and netwoek devices) on the same netwrok, then they will be able to talk to one another (suggest you ask separate question about Samba and the like). However, if you wish to connect your local network to another (such as the internet) then you will either need a router (perhaps at the ISP) to do some address routing or you will need to have your TCP/IP addresses defined by that other network (ie. setup according to their scheme), in whioch case I suggest you search on DHCP (a way of setting addresses remotely).

sorry I can't be of more help.

good luck

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    I have checked my ethernet modem documentation, it it appears that it is a router.

So this means that I have a router connected to the hub, and the hub is also connected to one windows and one Linux box.

Does this mean that I will be able to have my windows and linux box talking to one another at the same time as they both access the Internet via the router?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close