Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys! I have 2 machines. My workstation with Debian Sarge and a server with Red Hat AS 3. From my machine I achieve to run remote applications from several ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remote Access error

Hello guys!

I have 2 machines. My workstation with Debian Sarge and a server with Red Hat AS 3.

From my machine I achieve to run remote applications from several other servers (Red Hat 8, HP-UX, Solaris 8, etc). But from this specific server (just installed) I receive the error:

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Someone can help me?

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/ssh.html

As a general tip though, it is suicide to use X11 on a server.

Have fun!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your replay Kriss!

Although I do not use Windows, at least the link suggested by you motivated me to enable SSH server instead the telnet still used by us (yes, I know how much it is insecure). Unfortunately the same message when I tryed for example to open Gnome Editor:
    (gedit:11661): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Follow the steps I've done:

1- I type in my host: xhost +<remoteIP>
    2- From my workstation (Debian Sarge) I connect to the server (using telnet or, now, SSH).
    3 - If I used telnet I type in prompt ($ or #): gedit -display myIP:0.0. If I used ssh, just type the command. In both cases, the result is the error pasted above.

This is the first RH AS in our network, with others server, I never had any problem.

I'm still reading the manual that cames with the system, but if someone has any clue, please tell me!

Thanks again,

Just Joined!

Working!

Hello guys,

Just for feedback in order to help anybody with this problem.

The only thing I had to do was uncomment these lines from the file /etc/ssh/ssh_config:

Host *
    ForwardX11 yes (I have changed from no to yes).

Easy. But when a still didn't know

Thanks everybody,

Just Joined!

it works!

hi,
    I was unable to open X applications from a remote system while running ssh. Thanks to the information given abouy the ssh_config file , I have solved my problem. However I came across a lot of settings in the config file. I am curious about these settings, can someone tell me about the most commonly used settings.
    TIA
    pankaj