Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried everything I know and read to fix this problem. I have a linux fedora core 2 box set up as a file/print server. I have set up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SAMBA/XP issues

I have tried everything I know and read to fix this problem. I have a linux fedora core 2 box set up as a file/print server. I have set up the smb.conf file based on numerouse examples. I have the samba server running, I can ping my xp box using the ping "name" command and ping "ip address" and vice versa. I can see the FC2 box under my workgroup listed as samba ver # etc..localhost. The problem I am having is when I try to browse the server I keep getting access denied, don't have permissions to access the server, contact the administrator of the server etc... I have disabled the firewall on the server and created my user and password on the linux box as instructed the same as on my xp box. I still get nowhere.

Any help would be appreciated!

on you linux box you need to set up a samba password file
    you need to use actual linux users so if you have a user in the linux box named joe then the code in a terminal would be:
    smbpasswd -a joe
    it will prompt you twice for a password then you will have to restart the service.
    /etc/init.d/smb restart
    then just to make sure it wrote the file is in /etc/samba
    cd /etc/sambp
    less smbpasswd
    You should see a joe in there.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    I created the user name in linux with a password and I also did the same for samba. I still cannot get it to work. I guess I will keep trying. I can see the box via xp just cannot browse it.

In the [global] part of the smb.conf file add a line saying Browsable = yes
    then under the [homes] section add the same line again.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds