Find the answer to your Linux question:
Would it be possible to create a miniature www for my friends and neighbours. This little network would operate on the local phone lines of one telephone exchange. So no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

private www

Would it be possible to create a miniature www for my friends and neighbours.

This little network would operate on the local phone lines of one telephone exchange. So no long distance.

I would like this little network to be able to serve websites.
    This little www would NOT be connected to the big WWW.

Would I have to set myself up as an ISP?
    If so, what kind of software would I need?
    If I need special ISP software, would that software be available as OpenSource freeware?

I know how to host and serve websites with my Apache.
    I run Mandrake 9

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Lets see you would need a remote access server hardware for users to dialin on along with the software to make it work. It would be like the old days of when there was no public internet and only BBS's . Users dial into a server and authenticated the account. Seems like alot of work and hidden costs like phone lines, RAS hardare etc...

I can't think of any simple/cheap way to do it. Only finding a BBS system wtih web ability for sale on install a single line.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Hi,

In the last couple of hours I discovered a thing called multiplexer, aka MUX.
    (yo Google!)

It seems to be a piece of hardware which makes it possible for many callers to access an ISP at the same time.

According to my very meager grasp of this, it would appear that this MUX thingy can receive many phone calls at the same time, and transfer the call to the network where the various protocols take over, and then terminate the phone connection (???) while the caller is still (???) connected (??????) to the network (????????????????????????????????????????)

Anyways, that's as far as I got.

The phone line situation would not be a problem because it is like a local phone call.

I can't have a BBS type of thing because I would like this little network to serve web sites.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    why not just setup an apache server, and use .htaccess to require a username/password for accessing the site?

It seems like your possibly taking the long way around for a very simple problem/solution.

If you want to setup an ISP, or even a dial-in server, the you will need some form or RADIUS server, have a look at www.freeradius.org. You will then need some form of modem, attached to your phone line. if you want more than one modem/person connected at a time, you will need extra equipment (not cheap), i am not 100% familier with the details though.

Jason

Just Joined!
    This little network is NOT to be connected to the big web (there actually are advantages to that).
    It would just be a small private network for the community, that can be accessed by practically anyone within the local telephone exchange.
    Therefore, no long distance = free, and no ISP costs.

The phone access to the "pseudo" ISP (probably me) would be handled by the multiplexer(s).
    It would be a mini WWW, where websites can be called for and served (probably by me).

Thanks for the freeradius link. I went and got it.

So now I need to find out more about the ISP specific hardware and software.
    It seems there may be no other way to create this private little local www than by becoming a mini ISP myself.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    It seems there may be no other way to create this private little local www than by becoming a mini ISP myself.
    You are absolutly correct. Even just one connection take the same basic/functional infrastucture on software and hardware.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    I think your best option would be to avoid the phone lines and set up a wide range wireless network.

I remember reading a big article about it in dotnet mag. I'll try dig it out for you and give you an idea of costs/ideas