Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello I've got a problem getting my XP system to see a Samba share. I set up Samba using Swat, setting a guest account with the same name as a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XP can see Samba but cannot access share

Hello

I've got a problem getting my XP system to see a Samba share.

I set up Samba using Swat, setting a guest account with the same name as a user account, and setting a samba password for it.

In Windows I used "manage user accounts" to set up the account and password for the Samba host machine.

If I try to access the samba machine before bringing samba up, everything happens much as you' expect. Network places doesn't show the Linux machine, and I can't map a network drive. The reponses to all these attempts are immediate.

If I bring the XP sytem up after the linux system, I can navigate as far as the Linux system fro "network places", but if I click on that system, after about 30 seconds, I'm told I cannot access that system, and may not have the correct priileges.

If I try to map a network drive, the first time I try, after about 30 seconds, I get the message: "No service is operating at the destination network endpoint on the remote system". Subsequent attemts yield a "The network path ... could not be found" (after a 30 second wait).

If I try and browse to the folder (in Map Network Drive), I get as far as the Linux system, and when I click on it, I get an hourglass for 30 seconds, and then nothing.

It seems clear that the XP system can see the Linux system (the ping each other OK), and can see the Samba process, yet cannot see the share. But if it can't see it, why does it always take 30 seconds before reporting back. (remember, if Samba is not running, I get an immediate return which implies it's not some network timeout). And why would it take 30 seconds to determine that the share isn't present, or that the permissions are wrong?

did you add

Code:
    guest ok = yes
    to the share in smb.conf?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Yes, that's set.

Just Joined!
    I have a similar issue. I see my linux box via xp but cannot access it. error saying I don't have privelages, contact admin of the server.

Linux User
    mind to share with us your smb.conf?

Just Joined!
    I do not seem to have such a file.

I first looked in "/etc/smb.conf" - but no file

I tried "find / -lname smb.conf"

from root, but there is no file found.

I've set things up with Swat, so I would have thought there must be a config file somewhere.

on my computers, smb.conf is in

/etc/samba/smb.conf
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

As root (since your user account doesn't have access to some directories), try:

find / -name smb.conf -print

If you have samba installed, smb.conf is on your system somewhere.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

As root (since your user account doesn't have access to some directories), try:

find / -name smb.conf -print

If you have samba installed, smb.conf is on your system somewhere.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    Have you added the user using the

Code:
    smbpasswd -a username
    command?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast