Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to share files between 2 Mandrake boxes (both 10.0 community edition) & am finding it incredibly difficult. I managed to get 2 Mepis boxes sharing files recently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mandrake networking

Hi,

I'm trying to share files between 2 Mandrake boxes (both 10.0 community edition) & am finding it incredibly difficult. I managed to get 2 Mepis boxes sharing files recently with Samba, but I cannot seem to figure it out now with Mandrake.

I can ping the other Mandrake box on the network & vice versa. I have tried to use Samba (smb4k) to scan the network & it's not picking up anything. In Mepis I hit 'scan network' & it immediatley found the other computer. The only reason I'm not using Mepis now is because both kept crashing when I tried to share files.

Is there an easier tool for sharing files on 2 linux boxes? Or is Samba the best one to do the job? I have 'LinNeighborhood' as well - should I be learning to configure that instead?

Sorry for all the questions, I have searched this forum & others for answers but most are concerned with sharing files between a windows/linux box. I am slow to learn about Linux, but usually get there in the end!

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Elle

Just Joined!
    BUMP!

Just wondering if you ever found a "good" way to do this. I have that same exact question in my mind. What is the best method of sharing files/drives between 2 Linux boxes. And like you, everywhere I search, all I can find is questions about sharing between Linux and Windoze.

Mark.

Linux Enthusiast
    The best way to share files between two Unx-style boxes (that includes Linux) is to use NFS or in some cases WebDAV, but I would yet preferre the NFS. Then you'll have a good file-share-system to mount between those servers/ws. Don't be to afraid using the NFS, there are in most distros some good sets of tools to set up NFS shares and automatic mounting upon restarting your system. In Mandrake, just jump in to MCC -> Mounting Points, where you'll be able to mount NFS shares.
    To export a part of your filesystem all you have to create is the file /etc/exports and in a basic setup it would look something like this:
    Code:
    /my/shared/folder   192.168.1.0/24(rw)
    /my/shared/folder2 192.168.1.10(ro)
    This example illustrates that I'll have two sets of NFS exports, the first one will give a Read-Write access to everyone at network 192.168.1.0/24 and the second one will give a Read-Only access to host 192.168.1.10.
    Restart your NFSSERVER and there you got it, now you'll be able to mount those shares on your next server/ws.
    Remember this was a very very basic config of your /etc/exports file. Please read the man pages for exports for further information.
    Code:
    man exports

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Big Deal

Thats nothing after configuring samba , in order to access the files of other machine ,just
    type smb://<ip-address>/'folder-name'

Just Joined!
    I have been trying to do the same.

I have posted my own question earlier today and have just come across yours.

I feel that my problem is that Linux always trys to install as a server and thus both boxes are trying to give each other IP addresses through DHCP. You only need to have one as a DHCP server so how do you install Suse or Red Hat as a workstation ??

Sorry I could not help but maybe if someone replies we might get them talking to each other.

Paxo.