Find the answer to your Linux question:
Posts: 1 PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:49 am Post subject: a simple question Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post hi My problem i guess is very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network configuration

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:49 am Post subject: a simple question Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
    hi

My problem i guess is very simple but i couldnt find any solution so far.
    When my rh 9.0 system boots, after logging as root, immediately an error message
    shows up saying that "MACHiNENAME internet address cannot be found. This can prevent GNOME from working properly. You may solve this problem by adding MACHiNENAME adress to /etc/hosts file"
    MachineName stands for my computers name which is quickk.
    My current hosts file info:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost

I'am also having trouble starting apache, when i type apachectl start it gives the following error:
    httpd: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName

I think these prolblems are connected by as i said i havent managed to find a solution

Thanks
    Note:by changing machinename to localhost didnt worked. I have no difficulty connecting to net.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    If I understand the issue your linux thinks your internal loopback is the domain name. Could you post your host file?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!

Computer name and the Hosts file

Hi,

I'm running Mandrake 10.1 and ended up with the same error message when I logged in with gnome.

I fixed it by going into the /etc/hosts file so that the word localhost was replaced by my computer name.

Maybe if you change your computer name back to what it was and then edit /etc/hosts both your gnome and apache problem will be solved.

Just Joined!
    thanks mrkrud , i was having that problem my apache is now running