Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thank you. I tried using yast, it's easy enough, and seems to get me a lot closer, eventhough, I'm still struggling. Now I can ping my linux box, but nothing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thank you.
    I tried using yast, it's easy enough, and seems to get me a lot closer, eventhough, I'm still struggling.

Now I can ping my linux box, but nothing else, can't find the computer name, nor browse the computer.

Sorry, I know this must become a bit irritating to you, but, please bare with me, we're allmost there.

Linux Newbie
    Not at all irritating.. keep in mind that you know more than I do about networking. That's a brand new topic for me as well as Linux, but maybe I can get the correct information to you while we both learn.
    If you've just installed SUSE 9.2 do the YaST online update(YOU) first. Click the green icon on top of the desktop. (This actually pertains to 9.1,
    9.2 will show slight variations in setting the server, very simple now).

Starting a Samba client on the Linux box enables you to access windows resources like printers and file servers on your local network.

To configure a Samba Client:
    from yast->network services, click the Samba Client icon.
    The screen you'll see enables you to set the name of an existing Windows domain or workgroup. "TUX-NET" is just a default name that appears in the box.
    Fill in the name of your Domain or workgroup here, or use the browse button to get a dialog that shows the list of windows domains/workgroups that can be detected on your network.
    Now you should be able to browse resources on your local network using Konqueror. Click the my computer icon and select the network icon from the column of icons at the left
    ( do a mouseover to get a text popup identification). Click the local network entry in the left pane and select the windows network icon from the right pane to display icons for any
    available domains/workgroups in the right pane. You can drill down into any available domain/workgroup by clicking on the icons that are subsequently displayed.

Configuring and starting a Samba server allows you to export filesystems and printers to your local network.

To configure a Samba Server:
    Yast->network services, click on Samba Server. The first time this dialog comes up the disable samba server radio button will be selected. Click the enable samba server radio button.
    Of the next three radio buttons it sounds like you're interested in file/printer sharing to make your samba server become a member of your workgroup. Next enter the name of your domain/workgroup that you want to join. The server description will be displayed beside the entry for this server when you browse the domain. The NetBIOS name will be assigned to this server in your workgroup/domain. This will be the name that any windows user will need to specify when connecting to resources on the samba server that you're defining. By default the samba server will authenticate users by looking them up in a samba password file. This file is here
    Code:
    /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    Entries in this file are created and updated using a utility that is also named "smpasswd". This file is used only by samba servers-samba clients use the authentication mechanisms that are provided by the windows servers that you are connecting to. You need to create a user name and password entry in this file.
    To create a samba authentication entry use the "smbpasswd" command -a(add) option and put your username as the argument. (This is the same user name you have created to log into Linux).
    Code:
    # smbpasswd -a croxley
    New SMB password:
    Retype SMB password:
    Use your password here that is the password to log onto Linux.
    You can obtain a complete listing of all the utilities on your SUSE system relating to Samba by using the apropos command.
    Code:
    croxley@linux:~> apropos samba  
    croxley@linux:~> apropos SMB
    To get complete information about any of these commands use the "man" command.(manual, look over tutorials on this site).
    Samba is configured in "/etc/samba/smb.conf".

If you don't have the Samba client/server icons as described above go into yast->software. Next click the install/remove software icon. Type samba in the search textbox. Any packages that are currently installed are checked. You can add other packages by checking their boxes and clicking the accept button.

For the benefit of others stumbling onto this post, here is:
    microsoft's side of things
    When adding a printer using the wizard, browsing for printer, you'll get a dialog box with a textbox into which you'd presumably type the printer's name. Underneath is a network icon, under that the name of your network, under that the name of the PC into which the printer is connected through the USB port. The way to add the printer is to double click on the PC's name and it will appear beneath the PC name and you are done.
    Try setting up file sharing and printer sharing between two windows PCs first before trying to do it with the Linux PC. It will boost your confidence level. And you'll be sure your windows workgroup/domain is set up properly before throwing Linux into the mix.
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();

Just Joined!
    Thank you so much Shalamabobbi.
    Very much appreciated!
    I'll try your advice straight away, and let you know about my findings, I just want to do a clean installation again.

This is so much better than any crappy ms forum, I posted a windows related question about 3 weeks ago, and still no reply...
    Thank you so much for your help!

Linux Newbie
    You're very welcome.. good to see another find his way in from the cold.
    (note these steps pertain to 9.1, 9.2 may have slight differences)

Using a Windows printer from Linux:
    (do this after configuring a Samba client)
    You must create a printer definition using YaST. From YaST click the hardware icon in the left pane and select the printer icon from the right pane.
    Under "Available are:" you'll see "Other (not detected)".
    Click the configure button to create the definition.
    In my case the printer is attached to a Dell PC through the USB port. So my selection here is the radio button "Print via SMB Network Server".
    Click Next.
    Enter the workgroup/domain. Under "Host name of the printer server" I put the name of the Dell PC.
    Under "Name of the remote queue" I put the printer name.
    I don't use a user or password in my situation..
    Now don't bother with the Test Button, just click next.
    On the next page enter the printer name (I think this is the name it will have on the Linux PC).
    The Description and Location fields are optional.
    Deselect the "Do Local Filtering" radio button. Since the printer's already configured on the remote SMB server, you do not need to do any preprocessing in order to print to it.
    (note: I missed this the first time around. I can't seem to get to the page to select manufacturers and models unless this remains checked)
    Skip the Test button. Click next.
    Here you get to select drivers from a list of manufacturers. The models pop up on the right side after you select a manufacturer.
    Now do the Test. If your printer was one on the list you're all set.
    In my case, HP psc 1350 "all in one", I'm SOL.

Thanx so much for the help, it was exactly what I needed. Easy steps... And they work!
    Glad it worked out for you
    That thanks goes back to dylunio who took the time to help me and the SUSE Linux 9 Bible from which I gave you a "Reader's Digest" version from chapter 18. Welcome aboard!

Just Joined!
    Shalamabobbi!
    You're king!
    Thanx so much for the help, it was exactly what I needed. Easy steps... And they work!

People like you make these forums worthwile!
    Thank you so much!

Just Joined!
    Hi shalamabobbi,
    Thanks so much for your last bit of help.
    You can't perhaps help us with a client server setup aswell? you know... Setting up suse as the primary domain controller.
    I just need to know how to get the users to authenticate, when I try to change my windows computer from the workgroup to the doain it says access is denied.

Linux Newbie
    Here's some more information that may help with answering various samba questions. Also the samba how-to collection is available in the file
    Code:
    /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
    This should keep you busy until I or someone else has time has time to post an answer, or you may find it first. If so post back so the thread will be useful to others. Thanks, Bob.

Click here. This looks like what you want.

Just Joined!
    Thanks so much... It's exactly what I wanted!
    You're like a guru to me!

Linux User
    lol, how did this post end up dancing samba ....

btw, http://www.samba.org is all you need.... check out the "learn samba" section .....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2