Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Can i just clarify something? is your DSL connected to your XP machine which is providing ICS? or is your linux machine connected to the DSL providing IP routing to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Can i just clarify something? is your DSL connected to your XP machine which is providing ICS? or is your linux machine connected to the DSL providing IP routing to the XP machine? Is your DSL modem a USB device?

It proberly has nothing to do with a static IP or not in this case.

Cheers,

Jason

Just Joined!
    My XP machine is connected to my DSL & my Linux box is connected to my XP machine via Crossover Cable....

No it's not a USB Modem...

Linux User
    So, the XP box is still able to connect to the internet?
    If it's just the linux box having troubles, what about running netconfig and walking through the network setup again? Be sure to check off 'Use dynamic IP config'.
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Linux Guru
    I assume the internet is working on the XP machine still. correct me if i am wrong.

What network card do you have in your Linux PC?

I think we need to "modprobe" the driver at boot time.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Ya XP machine is running fine.... No connection problems...

Ummm I can't remember the name of the card now. Some strange card I hand't heard of before. I have an extra D_Link card that I was going to put in, but when I was putting the box together I didn't even look at what card I was using so I just grabbed a card and put it in.

"we need to "modprobe" the driver at boot time" what is this and how do you do it?

Linux Guru
    what we need to do, is find out what network card you have, only you can do that. Try looking at any documentation you have with your PC, or opening the case of the PC to see if you have a manufacturer/model number written on the card.

Once we know which network card you have, we can insert the command "modprobe <driver-module-name>" into your start up files.

We can locate the correct driver module name by googling.

The modprobe command basically means to load a module, eg, a driver.

If we then put the modprobe command into your startup files, we have basically managed to get the driver for your network card to load at boot time.

In the Redhat GUI there may be a way to have your system automatically probe for network cards, you may need to have a look around for this, unless someone else knows where it is.

Jason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2