Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a suse9.2pro box with onboard N.I.C(cat5) which plugs into a router(cat5). My laptop(dell latitude) which run's Debian Sarge is also plugged into the router via its 3com N.I.C.(cat5). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newbie networking

I have a suse9.2pro box with onboard N.I.C(cat5) which plugs into a router(cat5). My laptop(dell latitude) which run's Debian Sarge is also plugged into the router via its 3com N.I.C.(cat5). The router is also plugged into a adsl cable modem via ethernet.

What I want to do is network them together with file sharing, but no matter what I do I cant get it to happen or find a decent tutorial on it, any one wanna help me out?

thank's

If you right-click on the folder you want to share and click on Properties, there is a tab named "Share". you can configure file sharing there; keep in mind that you may have to go into the Security and Users section in YAST, click on Firewall Settings, and allow Samba Server connections.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    ok after messing around with both boxes and setting up a share on the suse box and configuring the suse firewall, I cant get to the suse share from debian

What are you doing to try accessing the share? Are you going from Konqueror, SMB4K, etc.?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    I'm going to /computer/Network/ from the desktop,

In Gnome?

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    yeah i'm using gnome

I seem to remember hearing a lot of people say that Nautilus' network browsing doesn't work well. You may want to try LinNeighborhood or SMB4K for network browsing instead, or use smbclient from the command line.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    I tried linneighborhood but it still doesnt pick the suse box up. The machines just can't recognise each other, you know of a tutorial on networking linuix boxes?