Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok here's my problem im currently running win ME & Mandrake 10.1 my modem is win (which sucks) neway was wondering if theres a way 2 get it to work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Modems

ok here's my problem im currently running win ME & Mandrake 10.1 my modem is win (which sucks) neway was wondering if theres a way 2 get it to work in linux or is it just easier to get a new modem that will work in both linux & windows ???? & if i gotta buy a new modem what brand would be best? im also only have dialup so i dun need 2 worry about adsl modems.

Cheers

Just Joined!

Re: Modems

Quote Originally Posted by Wallie
    ok here's my problem im currently running win ME & Mandrake 10.1 my modem is win (which sucks) neway was wondering if theres a way 2 get it to work in linux or is it just easier to get a new modem that will work in both linux & windows ???? & if i gotta buy a new modem what brand would be best? im also only have dialup so i dun need 2 worry about adsl modems.

Cheers
    depends if they have made drivers for that modem. i know that if you have a compusa and about 50$ (i know it seems like alot but its worth it) you can get yourself a us robotics exterior modem that will work almost 99% i garuntee it.

Linux User
    external serial modem would be fine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Here you can get a serial modem for $17 with free shipping, works great with Linux.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by valan
    Here you can get a serial modem for $17 with free shipping, works great with Linux.

i knew i overshot the price, damn compusa and their extreme prices

Just Joined!
    So valan I take it that you have one of these modems.

Do you use the MODEM ON HOLD fearure?? If so how does it work? I have been searching for someone who has a LINUX mode with the MOH feature working.

I need this feature if I am to continue in my quest to learn linux.

Linux Newbie

dialup modem

Best bet for dialup is external serial (not USB) hardware modem. No drivers needed.
    Just hookup to serial port, follow instructions in KDE help for Kppp dialer. Open Kppp under internet>remote access. Set device to /dev/ttsy0. If you are electromechanically inclined you can find one of these at a thrift store for less than $10. (but you usually have to search for an AC/DC wall adapter of the correct voltage AND amperage). If not, the Best Data or US Robotics ext. ser. modems are good. Google for them.

Next best is internal PCI hardware modems. Try a US Robotics internal PCI modem. ($65 - $85). The last I checked, you had to dwnload the drivers for this modem. OR Google for an Amigo Technologies AMI-IA56 internal PCI modem with Intel 536ep chipset. $15 (you must download the correct drivers for your current distro and kernel from the Intel site). Both of these modems will work in Linux/windows, but some features like MOH may not work in Linux. These were hardware modems and they took some work to get going. If you get a software modem, you could stumble across some drivers tomorrow or it might take weeks to find drivers if at all.

goodluck

Linux Engineer
    I don't use the modem on hold stuff, so I got no idea how it works.

Just Joined!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by valan
    I don't use the modem on hold stuff, so I got no idea how it works.

cheers 4 ya help. much more help than the guy in the local computer shop who dosent know a thing about linux.

il have a look in ebay since i live in australia so us stores dun help me much.

Linux Engineer
    Heh I didn't think that you might not live in the US. I'm sure you can find a nice price on a serial modem, though. It really doesn't matter which model or brand it is, all the serial modems work.