Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running SimplyMEPIS 3.3 (running KDE 3.3.2) on my IBM Thinkpad T40, which has an Intel PRO 2100 miniPCI network adapter. The ethernet works flawlessly. Now, the wireless connection is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless network not working

I'm running SimplyMEPIS 3.3 (running KDE 3.3.2) on my IBM Thinkpad T40, which has an Intel PRO 2100 miniPCI network adapter.

The ethernet works flawlessly.

Now, the wireless connection is another story:

I've set up my wireless connection by using the KDE Control Center -> Internet & Network -> Wireless Network manager. In the Config 1 tab, I set up the details for my network, select 'Load Preset configuration on KDE startup' checkbox, select Config 1 as the 'Configuration to load:' and hit Apply.

Then, upon booting, I get the following messages (this is an exerpt from my /var/log/syslog file):

Code:
    Feb 27 22:27:50 tharsan kernel: eth1: No xmit handler.
    Feb 27 22:27:50 tharsan kernel: e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
    Feb 27 22:27:50 tharsan kernel: eth1: No xmit handler.
    Feb 27 22:27:50 tharsan last message repeated 10 times
    And I do see these warnings in the verbose bootup messages as well.

Now, shortly after starting KDE, if I open KWiFiManager, it tells me that I am indeed connected to my wireless network (as setup in the Control Center) but strangely I have no IP address.

I did boot into Windows (which uses the same configuration - my router does not use encryption [for now], only MAC address filtering) and I did successfully acquire the correct IP from my router in Windows, so I should be able to in Linux.

On the side, how can I force my eth1 interface to attempt to acquire an IP address manually (i.e. some command I can run)?

Thank you very much in advance
    - Tharsan

Linux User
    You can asign an adress to your card by running this command:

Code:
     iwconfig eth1 ip_adress
    to asign a netmask run this command:

Code:
    iwconfig eth1 netmask netmask_adress
    Of course your wireless card interface doesn't always has to be eth1.
    Also you can set channel, mode, essid (name) and other parameters of the card, so look at man iwconfig.

Regards
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.