Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
they just use a domain url to redirect to the Server its actually a ip address not a url. in windows i create a new network connection like if i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

they just use a domain url to redirect to the Server its actually a ip address not a url.

in windows i create a new network connection like if i were adding a nic card. select type of vpn connection and put in the ip or domain register and my username and password then when it logs on it registers my pc on the network and i have access to shares and pcs i use Remote Desktop to remote control my work PC.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Enthusiast
    Still, I am kind of confused how the process is done. Need some more info how you accomplish the connection.
    However, I will ot try to be to long on this, but ask your network tech-guys what VPN/IPSec standard that is used. And if you may get the info on which brand/modell of your VPN connector (gateway).
    That would give a bunch of clues how to solve this issue.
    As long as it is not a MobilIP solution, I am quite sure there will be a "quite" easy solution for you. (And of course as long it is not a Microsoft propretary solution)

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    they just use a domain url to redirect to the Server its actually a ip address not a url.

in windows i create a new network connection like if i were adding a nic card. select type of vpn connection and put in the ip or domain register and my username and password then when it logs on it registers my pc on the network and i have access to shares and pcs i use Remote Desktop to remote control my work PC.
    Ok, you've got it right there then. It is a standard PPTP solution.
    Go for a try with FreeSwan! I'm sure you will find a lot of answers from theire mail-list as well if you get stuck.

Just Joined!

Re: how would i create a vpn connection

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    where i work i can vpn into the office and use remote desktop to control my xp machine. i am using slackware 10.1 and would like to know how to accomplish this.
    Dunno what your VPN router is, but I have instructions on how to setup the Cisco client...

It is written with SuSE in mind, but should work for any distro running KDE...

http://www.perfectreign.com/modules/...ticle.php?id=3

HTH!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2