Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
where i work i can vpn into the office and use remote desktop to control my xp machine. i am using slackware 10.1 and would like to know how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

how would i create a vpn connection

where i work i can vpn into the office and use remote desktop to control my xp machine. i am using slackware 10.1 and would like to know how to accomplish this.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Newbie
    Check this out.

that was for if the client you are using to connect from is windows? i am running slackware 10 and i want to connect to a windows vpn server.
    Blog

Linux Enthusiast
    Sorry to say that there is not any generall answer to this question, it's pretty much depending on which solution you have on VPN at your office.

You might get some answers from:
    www.openvpn.org
    or
    www.freeswan.org

We have M$ vpn which after the extensive research i have done it seems isnt easy to emulate in linux and not the most secure standard either.
    Blog

Linux Enthusiast
    M$ VPN, is that via ISA or is it theire standard PPTP / L2TP?
    I.e. that you can VPN to a certain server, or are your VPN a connection to your internal network? Hugh difference.

i am guessing pptp because i go to a url address lets say they had one setup on this url vpn.linuxforums.org. that address would be the server you would use to locallize your pc onto thier network. then use remote desktop to connect to an internal PC like XP.
    Blog

might be an ISA server. i am a programmer where i work so i am not privy to thier network details. but i do remember it being ISA i think.
    Blog

Linux Enthusiast
    Well if it is a PPTP connection you connect through, FreeSwan will do the job. But I do get kind of un-sure when you say you connect to a URL(?)
    Do you mean that you connect to a webpage, log in at that page, after that you are able to browse the network? Please give some more information on how you do it from a Windows box

Linux Enthusiast
    Hmm! In a second thought, might it be so that you connect with Internet Explorer to a webpage, and from there you logon to a Remote Desktop?
    If that's the case, you're out of luck with Linux, unless someone has a solution to run ActiveX components ontop Linux/Firefox/Mozilla and so on.
    Because that is a pure Microsoft solution, intended for Microsoft Internet Explorer only.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast