Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two questions about TCP sending packets. (1) All the packets from upper layer are enqueued in TCP. Then, who triggers the TCP to process and send the packets ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

About TCP Queue

I have two questions about TCP sending packets.

(1) All the packets from upper layer are enqueued in TCP. Then, who triggers the TCP to process and send the packets out? Does it have a time interrupt?

(2) How does TCP know the queue is empty? Since the users maybe keep sending packets and they are inserted to the TCP queue.

Any help is appreciated...

Linux Enthusiast
    Maybe some of your questions would be answerd best by reading the source of
    Code:
    /usr/src/<your-kernel-version>/net/ipv4/tcp.c

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by swemic
    Maybe some of your questions would be answerd best by reading the source of
    Code:
    /usr/src/<your-kernel-version>/net/ipv4/tcp.c
    Thanks, swemic. I read that code, which looks so complicated. I don't understand well. Could you please recommend some methods to simplify it?

Thanks a lot!

Linux Enthusiast
    1. This is a bit out of my league, however, the upper layers have a signaling system to tell TCP socket that there are information to take care of. It is not based on timers, because then TCP socket would have a lot of perfomance issues when it comes to less performanced systems.

2. As you just stated, it is a queue handling, and as soon the queue is empty the TCP sender will stop working.

But in fact, it is a bit more complicated than this above descriptions.
    Why do you need to know? I mean, it might be easier to answer if I know the issue.

Just Joined!
    1. This is a bit out of my league, however, the upper layers have a signaling system to tell TCP socket that there are information to take care of. It is not based on timers, because then TCP socket would have a lot of perfomance issues when it comes to less performanced systems.

2. As you just stated, it is a queue handling, and as soon the queue is empty the TCP sender will stop working.

But in fact, it is a bit more complicated than this above descriptions.
    Why do you need to know? I mean, it might be easier to answer if I know the issue.

Hi, swemic! Thanks a lot. Actually I am writing a code about controlling the speed of sending packets. However, it always makes my computer
    crashed and no any debugging information left on the console or any log files. I am very confused and don't know what I should do. The following code ( remove headers, declaration, etc) looks like:

------------------------------------------------
    Purpose: Put all the packets into queue first
    then call controller to sending packet every 20ms
    --------------------------------- -------------
    my_schedule(){
    enqueue(); //put stuff to the queue
    if (flag==0) {
    start_contrl();
    flag=1;
    }
    }

start_contrl(){
    if (queue is empty){
    flag=0;
    }
    else {
    my_timer.expires=jiffies+20;
    my_timer.function=my_sendout();
    add_timer(&my_timer);
    }
    }

my_sendout(){
    dequeue();
    del_timer(&my_timer);
    start_contrl(); // I want it to keep sending every 20ms until queue is empty

}

Do you know is there anything wrong with it? Or do I need read something? I apprieciate your help!

Walking

Linux Enthusiast
    ouch! Been I while since I did my coding, however, (I might be drained here), my strongest thinking here is that you have not good enough controll of how big your queue will grow. does your program crash directly hwne you start it, or does it crash after a while?

Just Joined!
    ouch! Been I while since I did my coding, however, (I might be drained here), my strongest thinking here is that you have not good enough controll of how big your queue will grow. does your program crash directly hwne you start it, or does it crash after a while?
    No, that is not a problem.

My program crash directly after I start it. Even if I just sent 1 packet, it carshed too.