Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to setup a server, but I want to understand everything first. Apparently, I have to register with a company who'll put my server domain on the root servers. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS, ROOT servers, and setting up an amiture server.

I'm trying to setup a server, but I want to understand everything first.

Apparently, I have to register with a company who'll put my server domain on the root servers. Then I need to use a DNS to get some nameservers to give back to the registration site.

Can somebody point me to a site, or tell me what all these things physically are and why i need them?

I initially thought that you would just register your name to a root server, then, when somebody wants to access your site, they would just go to the root server and find your IP through the nameserver. But now, apperantly, I need to have a nameserver.

Can somebody show me the processes involved in requests that are sent from server to browser. Like, when the browser sends a request, does that request go to the nameserver first, or the root server, and then what happens from there?

Any help would be awesome.

Just Joined!

dns

Need to figure out how to setup a local dns service on a Fedora box. Do I need a nic for each subnet?

Linux Guru

Re: dns

Quote Originally Posted by freeUSA
    Need to figure out how to setup a local dns service on a Fedora box. Do I need a nic for each subnet?
    Hey, freeUSA! You're hijacking a thread! :o You will need a NIC (=ethernet cable connection) for each user in your subnet, otherwise, how would they connect to the network? Read my post on this thread for more links and quick points on networking. I hope it's useful.

And to urquanmaster: I don't know much but.... I think that when you register your domain you will be assigned an IP address (dotted quad). When your server is connected and running, anyone who uses your dotted quad IP address will be able to find you. But to find you by name, their request will need to go through a nameserver that can equate your domain name to your actual IP address. I think that you may need to have a domain name server (DNS) to equate all of your domain names to all of your assigned IP addresses and a larger DNS system must know how to find your DNS to point traffic to you when it is addressed to your domain name as opposed to your IP address.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    This is how it actually works,

[root-dns] <----- Keeps track on top domains, as .com .org .se. us .uk and so on

([top-dns]) <---- Some top domain handlings are done at this level .se .nu .uk among others

[your-dns] <----- Keeps track in your registred domains

What you need is a statis public IP which you can use as your DNS nameserver entry,
    it really is a MUST to have a static IP. If you do not have a static, you could always look into some of those DynDNS services avalible, where you can define your domain.

All other records such as www.example.com ftp.example.com mail.example.com which usually is an A record in the DNS, can be dynamicaly, but that requires a very very low life time on the records.