Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am pretty new to linux, and completely new to samba. I have been tinkering with it forever and I cannot get the damned thing to work. Could someone point ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

samba dummy

I am pretty new to linux, and completely new to samba. I have been tinkering with it forever and I cannot get the damned thing to work. Could someone point me what I need to differently? I am trying to set it up so that the win xp machines have read/write access to the /share folder. I don't want each user to have a different folder, I just want them to all use this one. I also don't want to have a password if I can avoid it. I would prefer to restrict it by IP, or something along those lines. I have been able to get the windows machines to see the samba server, but never actually get into it. There's usually an error about it being not accessible, or lacking permissions. The error also states that I was not connected due to a duplicate name on the system.

Here are links to the smb.conf with all the commented stuff deleted, and to a screen shot of the the error.
    http://webhead.cc/c/smb.png
    http://webhead.cc/c/samba.txt

Linux Newbie
    You must have a logon and password to access samba just as you must enter a login and password to get onto Linux directly.
    By default the samba server will authenticate users by looking them up in a samba password file. This file is here
    Code:
    /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    Entries in this file are created and updated using a utility that is also named "smpasswd". This file is used only by samba servers. You need to create a user name and password entry in this file.
    To create a samba authentication entry use the "smbpasswd" command -a(add) option and put your username as the argument. (This is the same user name you have created to log into Linux).
    Code:
    # smbpasswd -a <your login here>
     New SMB password&#58; 
     Retype SMB password&#58;
    Use your password here that is the password to log onto Linux.

I don't know a way to bypass the login password requirement. It can be made simple and non-personal by creating a guest account and password. You'll need to put the shared folder in that directory of course.
    Also use the chmod command to allow use by anyone.
    Code:
    chmod 777 <shared folder name>
    Include the path in the config file..
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();