Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there anyway to have linux get DNS from a windows DNS server, or does it matter, as of now I have had to hard code host names in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS

Is there anyway to have linux get DNS from a windows DNS server, or does it matter,

as of now I have had to hard code host names in the network conifugration, and it really doesnt matter because its on a very small scale, but with DHCP on a larger network, what would have to be done??

I am running win2k DNS and DHCP, redhat 9 clients.

Just edit your /etc/resolv.conf to include:

Code:
    nameserver x.x.x.x
    for each DNS server you have (these are typically DNS servers for the 'Net). You can also add:

Code:
    domain my.domain.net
    for one local domain or:

Code:
    search my1.domain.net my2.domain.net
    for multiple local domains.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!

nope

was already there, i can ping internet names fine, just not internal names,

anymore ideas?, I have no doubt the DNS server may have issues, except that the windows PCs ping each other fine, I have to hard code the server into the host files of the windows PC's cause it is also serving the WEB, also put the server and its internal address in the linux network config, it all works if i do the same for each linux boxes, so i guess it doesnt matter,

I just like playing around with this stuff.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Even the domain and search statements didn't allow you to ping inside your network?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!

I have a question

1. In the computer lab , How would you hard code DNS resolution to use the IP address 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 (in that order)

2. Lock someones account. Be sure to identify the account as locked out in the user comment field and set the shell to /bin/nologin and dont forget to disable the password as well. How did you accomplish this?

Quote Originally Posted by katewall
    1. In the computer lab , How would you hard code DNS resolution to use the IP address 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 (in that order)

2. Lock someones account. Be sure to identify the account as locked out in the user comment field and set the shell to /bin/nologin and dont forget to disable the password as well. How did you accomplish this?
    Hard-coded IP address resolutions go in /etc/hosts; make sure that /etc/host.conf contains 'order hosts,bind'.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/