Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Extended memory needed for this post chaps... Hi Maxei, wow you bit! Of course I haven't fixed the problem, like I said just avoided it. Anyway, I have rebooted today, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    In the cupboard under the stairs probably. nr Aylesbury

Extended memory needed for this post chaps...
    Hi Maxei,
    wow you bit!
    Of course I haven't fixed the problem, like I said just avoided it.
    Anyway, I have rebooted today, just to get a snapshot of what happens both at boot and when I actually reconnect using the Hardrake configuration module.
    I have exactly the same message in the verbose boot messages, it echoes this in the syslog too, with no further explanation.
    However when I run the MCC hardrake configuration tool, there is a failure listed in the syslog.
    Okay, previous to this output is a whole host of discovery by the hardrake system as it detects available devices, then there is an obvious failure as it tries to load the modules for the speedtouch modem. I realise of course we are talking about different interfaces, but both with the same problem however.
    I also have another interface eth0 which is correctly loaded and configured at boot, it even manages to boot the other machines on the lan before login, so I guess that works :O)
    The failure below seems to be the problem, all the following lines are an echo of the system reconfiguring the interface on ppp0, notice the additional failure of the Usb filesystem before configuration is done and the link is established....you probably won't see this as you are using the pci bus, but if I remember right the usb and pci buses are shared on most systems.

drakconnect[7605]: failed to load speedtch,ppp_generic,ppp_async,n_hdlc,ppp_synctty, bsd_comp,ppp_deflate,ppp_deflate modules:

drakconnect[7605]: running: /usr/bin/speedtouch-start --boot
    modem_run[7621]: modem_run version 1.3 started by root uid 0
    kernel: usb 1-2: bulk timeout on ep5in
    kernel: usb 1-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110
    modem_run[7622]: [monitoring report] ADSL link went up
    CROND[7624]: (root) CMD ( /usr/share/msec/promisc_check.sh)
    modem_run[7621]: ADSL synchronization has been obtained
    modem_run[7621]: ADSL line is up (576 kbit/s down | 288 kbit/s up)
    drakconnect[7605]: created file /etc/sysconfig/drakconnect

While I couldn't begin to figure out why these failures occur, hopefully this information will point you in the right direction, perhaps if you make sure your system logging is as verbose as you can and reboot and then reconfigure the cards connection, then look in the syslogs to see if there is a similar failure.
    I suspect my failures are due to the alcatel embedded firmware which I got from their website.
    I also am a bit hazy on whether the bios is allowing proper plug and play discovery under linux.
    Also perhaps there could be a problem with the permissions set on some modules, I will investigate further and if so, and you are having a similar failure, then this could help.
    I am new to linux , but I could dissect windows XP pro with a swiss army knife in the dark.
    By the way you have almost the same hardware as I.
    Sorry to be so flippant earlier but hey humour doesn't hurt.

Just Joined!
    Thanks swemic. billybeag.
    The command ifconfig -a gives this:
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:2112 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:2112 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:150680 (147.1 Kb) TX bytes:150680 (147.1 Kb)

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
    NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

There is no entry for eth0 when not connected. Using the Mdk Control Center I am forced to make a new connection with adsl, then PPPoE. A curious thing: two "devices" to connect are shown in Manage Connections: one is "adsl" (which works I dont know how), and the other is "ethernet Rhine..."(which somehow is used by adsl!!)

I am confused. After boot and login (not yet connected) if I type as root: # /etc/init.d/network restart
    Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
    Setting network parameters: [ OK ]
    Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
    Bringing up interface eth0: [FAILED]

It is contradictory! because I see the ethernet card when I type lspci (please see above previous post)

Any ideas?

Maxei DeVraie

Linux Enthusiast
    As I said previously, I believe that your eth0 adapter is bound to ppp0, and therefore it can't be enabled untill you have enabled your ppp0 interface.
    Was it not so that as soon as you start up your ppp-connection the eth0 will be enabled as well?

Just Joined!
    In the cupboard under the stairs probably. nr Aylesbury
    I think swemic has hit the nail on the head. Twice.
    Have you tried to remove both connections in the control centre then reboot and launch the mmc again taking very good care in the hardware manager to choose the pppoe device as the connection type.
    I forgot to choose my adsl modem as the internet connection after rebooting a few days ago, it is easily done especially if the system thinks there is more than one device.

FYI, I just disconnected the usb modem and plugged it into the extra usb card USB 2.0 and it still gives me a resource temporarily unavailable message at boot but it connects at some point after boot. I suspect that the system was still remembering the previous configurationand relocating the device has refreshed the config.
    You could try swapping your devices on the pci bus.
    Also if you have an onboard soundcard and a pci soundcard as well, (i think you may from the device listing), this can cause almost transparent conflicts.
    I would disable the onboard ac97 device in the bios until the other device problems are solved. ( I had this problem with a usb camera in XP).
    Forcing the system to rediscover everything in new slots can solve many problems.

Just Joined!

bringing up eth0 up: OK!!! Solved but question remains

Hi all: Very good news!!

I did #modprobe -r via-rhine
    then I did #modprobe rhinefet

Then I uncommented the line alias eth0 rhinefet in the /etc/modules.conf file

then I rebooted, and ....and.... SURPRISE!!!
    I finally got the message "Bringing up interface eth0: OK" !!! Wooohooooo!!!

So I logged in and typed: #ifconfig eth0, and I got:
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10:A7:20:40:BC
    inet6 addr: fe80::210:a7ff:fe20:40bc/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:560 (560.0 B) TX bytes:378 (378.0 B)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe400

So, at last! eth0 is started at boot.

Thanks a lot Mr_C! Apparently the problem was that the wrong driver module (via-rhine) blocked the ethernet card (or something like that?).

Now, at this point the machine is not yet connected (I checked by firing Firefox).

I share your curiosity; And I am surprised to see eth0 up because the module rhinefet should not be active (?).

I check the following: # lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    lp 9548 0
    parport_pc 30976 1
    parport 33896 2 lp,parport_pc
    md5 3584 1
    ipv6 230916 10
    autofs4 15268 0
    rfcomm 32348 0
    l2cap 19876 5 rfcomm
    bluetooth 39076 4 rfcomm,l2cap
    snd-seq-midi 6624 0
    snd-seq-oss 31232 0
    snd-seq-midi-event 6080 2 snd-seq-midi,snd-seq-oss
    snd-seq 47440 5 snd-seq-midi,snd-seq-oss,snd-seq-midi-event
    snd-pcm-oss 49480 0
    snd-mixer-oss 17376 1 snd-pcm-oss
    snd-ens1371 18980 3
    snd-rawmidi 19300 2 snd-seq-midi,snd-ens1371
    snd-seq-device 6344 4 snd-seq-midi,snd-seq-oss,snd-seq,snd-rawmidi
    snd-pcm 81800 4 snd-pcm-oss,snd-ens1371
    snd-timer 20356 2 snd-seq,snd-pcm
    snd-page-alloc 7400 1 snd-pcm
    snd-ac97-codec 69392 1 snd-ens1371
    gameport 3328 1 snd-ens1371
    snd 45988 14 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq,snd-pcm-oss,snd-mixer-oss,snd-ens1371,snd-rawmidi,snd-seq-device,snd-pcm,snd-timer,snd-ac97-codec
    iptable_filter 2080 0
    ip_tables 14624 1 iptable_filter
    af_packet 16072 0
    usbhid 41088 0
    floppy 55088 0
    via-rhine 17572 0
    mii 4224 1 via-rhine
    ide-cd 37280 0
    cdrom 37724 1 ide-cd
    loop 12520 0
    nls_iso8859-1 3680 1
    nls_cp850 4480 1
    vfat 11008 1
    fat 39776 1 vfat
    supermount 34804 3
    via-agp 7360 1
    agpgart 27752 2 via-agp
    tuner 18320 0
    tvaudio 20588 0
    bttv 145676 0
    video-buf 16868 1 bttv
    i2c-algo-bit 8712 1 bttv
    v4l2-common 4896 1 bttv
    btcx-risc 3816 1 bttv
    i2c-core 19060 4 tuner,tvaudio,bttv,i2c-algo-bit
    videodev 7168 1 bttv
    soundcore 7008 2 snd,bttv
    nvidia 4805012 12
    uhci-hcd 28752 0
    usbcore 103172 4 usbhid,uhci-hcd
    genrtc 7444 0
    ext3 120680 6
    jbd 49080 1 ext3

If I do #lspci, I can see the ethernet line:
    00:0c.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105 [Rhine-III] (rev 86)

So, How is this card working? Which module and by which pathway so it bypasses /etc/modules.conf?

So I connect by calling for the first time in command line (prior, I always had to use Mdk ControlCenter>New connection>etc etc. but NOT THIS TIME!), so i type bravely:

#adsl-start, and I get:
    ..Connected!

Excellent! But the Mistery remains: How eth0 is working? Can you help me to find out which module driver is using?

Maxei DeVraie

Just Joined!

driver file

Quote Originally Posted by Maxei
    During booting, I see this message:
    "Bringing up eth0: Failed".

Every time I am forced to start a new conection using Mandrake (10.1 comm) Control Center.

I have installed the driver, rhinefet.ko (and rhinefet.o just in case) for this ethernet card (VT6105 Rhine III 10/100). I followed the instructions as follows:

1) save the rhinefet.tgz to a directory (/tmp)
    2) then, cd /tmp , then tar xvzf rhinefet.tgz ; a bunch o files are created.
    3)Then I type : make install ; some files are created, including rhinefet.ko and rhinefet.o
    4) I check that these two files are added to :/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-10mdk/kernel/drivers/net
    5) I check that the line "alias eth0 rhinefet" exists in /etc/modules.conf
    6) I check that the line "alias eth0 rhinefet" exists in /etc/aliases
    7) From the /tmp directory, I issue the command # insmod rhinefet.ko ; I dont get any message. (Is that o.k ?)
    If I do # modprobe rhinefet ; no message is displayed (is that o.k. ?)
    9) I rebbot with the command reboot.....

....and here I am with this problem, the card cannot be initialized at boot. What is wrong?

After boot and login in, I do #ifconfig eth0
    I get the message:
    eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

Please help me to troubleshoot the problem. Thanks

EDIT: By the way, yes, with Mandrake Control Center I can make a new ADSL connection through this card. Strange, isn't it?

Maxei
    I am having somewhat the same problem. I need to install drivers for the card.
    where did you find the file rhine####
    I found a file on a cd that I use when installing windows. it had a linux file on the cd. Or did you download it from the vendor???
    Thanks for any help.
    Larry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2