Find the answer to your Linux question:
For some reason when ever i connect to my linux machine from my wind'ohz machine it accepts the connection, and then waits 10 seconds before doing anything. its particularly annoying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slow lan connection

For some reason when ever i connect to my linux machine from my wind'ohz machine it accepts the connection, and then waits 10 seconds before doing anything. its particularly annoying when i'm using ftp with multiple connections as each file sticks at 0% for 10 seconds before starting the transfer. how do I get rid of it?

Linux Enthusiast
    This could be a "multi-homed" problem. But I would bet a few cents on that you are in fact trying to transfer files in Active Mode, which is not a good way if you have WinXP SP2, are you ftp'ing from a DOS shell or from any better FTP GUI sw? If the later, you should try swicth over to Passive Mode and see if this helps. If you are in DOS shell, sorry to say, but Microsoft DOS ftp client only supports Active Mode transfer.

Just Joined!
    Kewl! passive mode worked! thanks

it still does it for telnet though i'm using filezilla & win2k sp4

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    I suggest that you drop telnet and switch over to SSH, which is far more secure. Anyhow, this delay may be due to that you have enabled reverse lookup, check if you have enabled "ident" (tcp:113), if you have, remove it from your xinet.d or inet.d, unless you have a need of it for your own irc channel or so.

Ina fast lane I am correcting a small thing here as well,
    it is not so you have a software FW installed and enabled on you Win2K ?