Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hiya, My knowledge of wireless networking products is not great so im looking for bit of advice. My current network ( www.jasonlambert.net/network.php ) is made of cat5 ethernet connectivity. All ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Which Wireless Network Device?

Hiya,

My knowledge of wireless networking products is not great so im looking for bit of advice.

My current network ( www.jasonlambert.net/network.php ) is made of cat5 ethernet connectivity. All my PC's connect into a 10MB hub, which also has a netscreen router connected into it providing internet access to the network.

What i would like to do is plug a wireless router into the hub, and use some sort of PCMCIA card in my laptop to connect to the wireless router and then via that the rest of the network.

something like this:

laptop <---> wireless router <---> hub <---> other devices connected to hub

Questions:
    1) Which products are available that can work in this scenario?
    2) are there any devices that can do this which do not use the 2.4Ghz frequency?
    3) Is there anything faster than 11Mb?

Additional Specification:
    1) The PCMCIA card should work under Debian.
    2) Budget limit is about 250 - 300.
    3) A good signal/speed at ranges of upto 20meters would be good.

Any suggestions, shared experience much appriciated.

Cheers,

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I do know wireless but not on the linux side. Sorry

Once you have a wireless nic that is linux friendly, you do have the option of using one of the other linux machines as a peer then go through it for net access. You use it in adhoc mode/network on top of your existing one. Then you by two wireless nic's (less expensive) rather than a nic and a AP which would cost abit more. If you want the option of friends over to share your wireless then you would be back to the AP option.

I do have a question on your web server that I'll pm you on.

Sorry could add any more than that. But assuming success, if you could write down a few notes for a wirelesss tut for linux, I think it would be a great asset here.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    I think its the Access Point option im looking for. ive found the answer to 1 of my previous questions about speed. there is a G54 or something like that which allows upto 54Mb/s data transfer.

Which access points are available which can be plugged into a hub? anyone using one of these at the moment?

Jason

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    Your questions

1) Which products are available that can work in this scenario?

You mentioned you had a answer to this already.

2) are there any devices that can do this which do not use the 2.4Ghz frequency?

Any product that compiles withe either the 802.11a standard will (5 GHz). Many are being phased out due to new standard of 802.11g.

3) Is there anything faster than 11Mb? yes, Any 802.11a or 802.11g products.

4) Which access points are available which can be plugged into a hub? anyone using one of these at the moment?

A combo AP/router. Linksys has one as well as several of the other SOHO mfg's for just over $100 that comply with the new standard of 802.11g for speed and backwards compatibility with a/b standards. You'd be using the router ports just as a hub to your main network.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

flw
    Linux Engineer
    What was your final solution including AP and NIC's to your issue?
    Dan

Linux Guru
    Having trouble locating a 1/2 decent wireless router at the moment... still working on it.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    What make/model nic did you use for your laptop?
    Dan