Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have a installed Red hat linux 6.2 in a win machine(linuxserv).From linuxserv i am able to telnet to other unix machines in the network,but from other machines ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to telnet tolinuc machine

Hello all,
    I have a installed Red hat linux 6.2 in a win machine(linuxserv).From linuxserv i am able to telnet to other unix machines in the network,but from other machines i am not able to telnet to linuxserv.

I am new to linux and have knowledge about other flavours of unix.expecting ur mail .

with rgds,
    nataraj

remember that you will need to have a server application (daemon) running within your linux server for it to allow people to telnet into it.

I must admit that it is sometime since I've played with this, but I seem to remember that the process is called 'telnetd'. So, if you open up a terminal window and type something like 'ps -alx' you should be givien a list of all the processes that are running. See if telnetd is one of them (of course you could be fancy and enter "ps -alx | grep 'telnetd' " ).

Also I think you'll have to look into xinetd which is used to control such services as telnet . Oh, wait a minute, not sure that it's part of Redhat 6.2 .

You may find, that within Gnome there is a utility called services, which lets you define which services are started at start up. I say 'may' as I've not used Redhat before version 7.3 .

Hope that this helps

Nerderello