Find the answer to your Linux question:
This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm trying to make sure what I want to do will work before I make any decisions. I currently have cable internet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

DSL, router, and linux

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm trying to make sure what I want to do will work before I make any decisions.

I currently have cable internet running into a Netgear router. I can use Linux (Gentoo and Debian, wired and wireless) just fine with DHCP.

My question is this: if I switch to DSL (Verizon in my case) and use the same router, will I be able to run DHCP as before without trouble? I mean, will the router look any different from the computer end than it did before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

it should work with no problems at all ....the router is holding the lease
    just set the router for the new password and service type for the new isp and you are good to go that is the beuty of routers
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

thanks

thanks, that's what i was hoping. so the router looks like a black box from the point of view of the computers?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

The router takes the routing work

Internet routing, NAT IP translation.

What do you mean with Black Box?

by black box i meant the computer sees the router as a DHCP server regardless of what type of ISP serves it.

the reason i'm asking is that i've heard dsl is difficult with linux and i've seen many pages about setting up pppoe and i don't want to mess with any of that.

Not every DSL provider uses PPPOE . My DSL modem is set up in bridged mode, it is just a matter of pluggin in your network card and running a dhcp client.
    I\'m so tired .....

ok, so the router negotiates the connection with the ISP? i guess, my questions are, will the computers see a difference if i switch from cable to dsl? does the router act as a middle man and the computers just see a DHCP server no matter what the ISP is?