Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I have managed to install SuSE 9 on my pc quite easily. However for Linux to be any actual use to me it needs to be able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help on installing Netgear WG311T.

Hi everyone.

I have managed to install SuSE 9 on my pc quite easily. However for Linux to be any actual use to me it needs to be able to connect to the internet. The way I connect to the internet is through a Netgear WG311T wireless adapter. Unfortunately I am a huge newbie to Linux and so have no idea about how to do anything.

So if any of you could write a complete guide on how to get my wireless card installed and connected to the internet with what the different commands do (I want to learn) then I would be very grateful.

When you open YaST (Start -> System -> YaST) and go into the Network Devices -> Network Card section, does it recognize the card? If so, then you can use that section to enter your SSID, etc.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    It recognises my card as a Netgear card but not as the specific card. I tried configuring it but it doesn't seem to support WPA which is how I secure my network or have options for the 108Mbps speed I run the network at.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What version of Suse are you running? In 9.2, the YaST Online Update (YOU) has an option to download firmware for various types of network cards; not sure about the earlier versions, but I think it was there in 9.1 as well. I believe your card would require the ACX100 firmware, but there wouldn't be any harm in downloading all of them.

After installing the firmware so that Suse can "see" your card properly, you should be able to use YaST to set WPA, etc.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    I'm running 9.0. However any form of online update is out of question as no network access means no internet. I can however download any files through windows and transfer them over if I know what files are needed and what to do with them when in Linux.

I was hoping you had a wired connection as well. You could probably use ndiswrapper to get it running; it uses Windows drivers to get the card working in linux. You could download ndiswrapper and put it and your Windows drivers in a spot that's accessible from your Suse install; follow the instructions from the ndiswrapper wiki site and download the Windows drivers you need from there as well: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php (you may want to print the instructions out or something)

- Jeremy S. Anderson