Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm a surf-addict. Recently I came across a site: http://www.chami.com/tips/internet/041498I.html It showed the IP address alright, but also some additional info: IP Address: 202.63.165.254 Browser Signature: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Information Leak!

Hello,
    I'm a surf-addict. Recently I came across a site:
    http://www.chami.com/tips/internet/041498I.html

It showed the IP address alright, but also some additional info:
    IP Address:
    Browser Signature:
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

I know abt the IP part and the browser, but how do i stop my browser from sending that extra data?? Also, i wanna put such a feature on my site. How do i do it??

One more thing. I can spoof addresses while sending mails. But still my frendz can find out its me(my composition is perfect. Its not social engg). I think it must be thru IP. How do i spoof my IP address in outgoing mails? I'm on cablenet.

Linux Engineer
    You cannot block this information from been sent, as it is part of the core of any browser.

Here's a script that will work
    Code:
    <script>
    if &#40;document.all&#41;
    var version=/MSIE \d+.\d+/

if &#40;!document.all&#41;
    document.write&#40;"You are using "+navigator.appName+" "+navigator.userAgent&#41;
    else
    document.write&#40;"You are using "+navigator.appName+" "+navigator.appVersion.match&#40;version&#41;&#41;
    </script>
    I think it must be thru IP. How do i spoof my IP address in outgoing mails? I'm on cablenet.
    Not quite sure what you meen?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Enthusiast

Re: Information Leak!

Quote Originally Posted by neomax
    One more thing. I can spoof addresses while sending mails. But still my frendz can find out its me(my composition is perfect. Its not social engg). I think it must be thru IP. How do i spoof my IP address in outgoing mails? I'm on cablenet.
    I would make a wild guess that your "frendz" would see it is you through the mail header, or that they will see your IP in the mail header.
    So if you wish to remove all absence of your internal network, you have to "clean" out everything that has to do with your information from the emails before you send them out. Do you have your own SMTP server at your internal network to send out the mails?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    You cannot block this information from been sent, as it is part of the core of any browser.
    This depends on the browser. I know in konqueror you can edit how much info sent by your browser, or even fake the info. When I used KDE I could make it sound like I was using IE 6.0 on win2k...

Linux Engineer
    This depends on the browser. I know in konqueror you can edit how much info sent by your browser, or even fake the info. When I used KDE I could make it sound like I was using IE 6.0 on win2k...

If you guys know about any other browser which have this capability, please tell...

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    If you guys know about any other browser which have this capability, please tell...
    Opera has this abillity as well. I can imagine that Firefox would be quite easy to tweak for this as well. If it is not possible by configuration, then just download the source and try to find the output from there and change to what ever you wish and re-compile.