Find the answer to your Linux question:
I cant seem to get my net"work" working in SUSE 9.2. I cant see any windows computers through my ethernet, my windows (xp) computers cant see the linux machine. My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network more like Net un-work

I cant seem to get my net"work" working in SUSE 9.2. I cant see any windows computers through my ethernet, my windows (xp) computers cant see the linux machine. My wireless MA111 USB adaptor doesnt work or even get recognized even though it states in several places that it uses the prism chipset and that its compatible with suse...and been done before.

Ive used YAST to setup the adapter. Its there. Both the them. The ethernet and wireless. I used ndiswrapper to try and install drivers for the wireless. It installed them, but still says "hardware NOT present". Ive been doing this all from online tutorials. Suse recognized my built in ethernet adaptor during installation and installed it without a hitch. But still doesnt show anything. Ive installed SAMBA and some other things...

I just cant get anything to work at all. I get no responses from anything and I get no results. I must be missing something!! Any help would be much appreciated.

have you used YaST to setup Samba? This is the application that will allow you to see windows shares, and create shares for windows computers to see.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    I did, yes. Its all setup but still says that no workgroup computers are availible. I have my shares setup on my windows machine as well.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ok, have you tried pointing a browser like konqueror at

Code:
    smb&#58;//<computer-name>
    I found that that works even tho there's aparently no computers in the workgroup. Why it's like this, i dont know!

also are you sure the computer's in the same workgroup? It might be case sensitive being linux
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    case sensitivity is important

well why don't u try using \\<computer_name> on ur window box afta checin if they are in the same wrkgrp. if this finds a client then that defies the error, then we can go on.

please check the wrkgrp name u provided to samba n be sure, sometimes it gets a little bit buggy.

NB: u can choose to put ur clients into the wrkgr again and reboot the boxes. Then maybe restart samba.

service smb restart