Find the answer to your Linux question:
(use at least one big word every day... improves your overall well being ) well... i have a feeling that i am about 99% done installing my wireless card (Motorola ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

99% there? ndiswrapper discombobulation --UPDATE--

(use at least one big word every day... improves your overall well being )

well... i have a feeling that i am about 99% done installing my wireless card (Motorola WN825G... the cheap wallyworld one...), except not quite there yet. I installed ndiswrapper from an RPM i found on RPMfind, and that seemed to go well. i installed the driver (bcmw15a.inf) from the online .EXE at Motorola's website. i put in ndiswrapper -m, and it did whatever command it does then (n00b city... ). Next, did ndiswrapper -l to make sure that it was installed (it was, but "hardware NOT present").

Finally, i typed in iwconfig, where it proudly announced that it was not connected.

I think i skipped a step in here, somewhere... but i'm not sure what it was...

help?

Just Joined!
    *bump/update*

OK, a bit farther now...

i typed in some concoction into the command line, and now the power light is on. SuSE can detect that it is a wireless card, but it cannot, for some reason, connect to the network.

I set it up to go to my network ID, and to use the correct key (64bit WEP)... except the link light won't go on, and it can't do an actual connection.

Confuzled [/b]

Just Joined!

Linux SuSE 9.1

What Concoction did you type in... i have the same card and i have done the same and got the same responce as you except the leds did not come on. maybe we can work this together

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

connection

if it has a connection... NOW it needs an IP address.

dhcpcd will do this

Just Joined!
    ok...

first i typed "ndiswrapper -i bcmcwl5.inf", then "ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf" then, i typed "ndiswrapper -m". Next, "iwconfig wlan0". That brought the power lights on...

i tried dhcpcd, but it brought me to a "blank prompt", in which there was no "ben@linux#", just a blinking cursor on a blank line. Whatever i typed, it just brought me back to the blank prompt. i had to open a new window to restore access to the prompt.

it doesn't really matter any more... i decided to shell out the cash and buy an internal card from IBM, with native (MadWiFi) drivers :crossfingers: