Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am quite new to Linux. I have a old Toshiba portable with Mandrake 10.1 Community edition. I am trying to get a DLINK G650 to work on this machine. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to install madwifi_pci - ath0 missing

I am quite new to Linux. I have a old Toshiba portable with Mandrake 10.1 Community edition. I am trying to get a DLINK G650 to work on this machine. I dont have any other network card (wired or wireless) on this machine. My card seem to be recognized but during boot i'm told that ath_pci cannot find device ath0. I cannot find this device in any other way either. Can anyone tell me how to install ath0?
    I have dowloaded madwifi_pci source. I have stored these files in a directroy under home. Is it necessary to store them in a special directory? I have also installed my Linux source (urpmi linux-source). I have modified modules.conf, modules and modprobe.conf to include alias ath0 ath_pci. I have created a symbolic link to the source files. I then run make clear, make, and make install. Should I modify any configuration files or variables, or ececute any other commands before or after these make-commands? These commands run without errors. Then I run depmod. After this proecdure there is a new directory /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-10mdkcustom/net with several *.ko files, among them ath_pci.ko and ath_hal.ko. I expected to get these files in my /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-10mdk directrory? If I try to modprobe ath_pci I get a error message tellling me that ath_pci not found. insmod ath_pci.ko complains about an invalid parameter -l. And device ath0 is still not found.
    Are my problems related to the missing ath0 and how can I install this? Or is it some error in compiling and loading madwifi_pci? Or both? And yes, I have the wireless extensions installed.

Knut

Just Joined!

Re: Trying to install madwifi_pci - ath0 missing

skip madwifi

Here's how you can easily get this thing going:

I have the DWL-G650 card, this uses the atheros chips, atleast the REV B4 does.

download NDISWRAPPER, I used 1.1 un-tar it. do make then make install.
    then DL the driver for your card from DLINK, run ndiswrapper -i net5211.inf and it will install the file. do modprobe ndiswrapper
    this will install the ndiswrapper as a module, if you have loadablke module support in the kernel.

From here, your card is install, should function. Then you can bring it up with either
    ifup wlan0 or in my case ifconfig wlan0 up
    then I do dhcpcd wlan0 to get an ip address
    the only problem I have is that for no reason the card goes up and down without warning, could be for 1/2 minute, 5 minutes, never know..no reason, no log entries.
    I personally think it's more the combo of the dlink router and dlink card. I also had problems in windows. When I used Linksys I never had a problem.
    -ej

Quote Originally Posted by knuha
    I am quite new to Linux. I have a old Toshiba portable with Mandrake 10.1 Community edition. I am trying to get a DLINK G650 to work on this machine. I dont have any other network card (wired or wireless) on this machine. My card seem to be recognized but during boot i'm told that ath_pci cannot find device ath0. I cannot find this device in any other way either. Can anyone tell me how to install ath0?
    I have dowloaded madwifi_pci source. I have stored these files in a directroy under home. Is it necessary to store them in a special directory? I have also installed my Linux source (urpmi linux-source). I have modified modules.conf, modules and modprobe.conf to include alias ath0 ath_pci. I have created a symbolic link to the source files. I then run make clear, make, and make install. Should I modify any configuration files or variables, or ececute any other commands before or after these make-commands? These commands run without errors. Then I run depmod. After this proecdure there is a new directory /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-10mdkcustom/net with several *.ko files, among them ath_pci.ko and ath_hal.ko. I expected to get these files in my /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-10mdk directrory? If I try to modprobe ath_pci I get a error message tellling me that ath_pci not found. insmod ath_pci.ko complains about an invalid parameter -l. And device ath0 is still not found.
    Are my problems related to the missing ath0 and how can I install this? Or is it some error in compiling and loading madwifi_pci? Or both? And yes, I have the wireless extensions installed.

Knut

Just Joined!

Trying to install madwifi_pci - ath0 missing

I have been able to get my card working with the madwifi driver by compiling (make) the driver and configurating my ifcfg-ath0 file.

Knut

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close