Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been googling networking in linux, but keep getting linux-windows-SAMBA tutorials. New to linux. Newer to networking. Have two PCs connected via ethernet card and cat5 crossover cable. Here ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

linux to linux NFS?

I have been googling networking in linux, but keep getting linux-windows-SAMBA tutorials.

New to linux. Newer to networking. Have two PCs connected via ethernet card and cat5 crossover cable. Here are specs.

PC 1
    Mandrake 10.0
    Ethernet connection to PC 2 (configured in GUI)
    Dialup modem to internet thru kppp
    set address to 192.168.1.1

PC2
    Fedora Core 2
    Ethernet connection to PC 1 (configured in network device control GUI)
    set address to 192.168.1.2

each PC can ping itself and can ping the other PC so I assume they are connected.

But for right now I would just like to know:
    1. how to confirm that the PCs are connected. (does the pinging confirm this?)

2. how to see/share files between PC's. Am not even sure of the process. Is this NFS? if so, how can I find out if the NFS is installed. Have been searching thru FC2 menus in the GUI....no luck. Found NFS mount points in Mandrake, but what to do with them?

3.Then I would like to let PC 2 connect to internet thru PC1.

thanks for any help

Linux Guru

Re: linux to linux NFS?

Quote Originally Posted by Trio3b
    1. how to confirm that the PCs are connected. (does the pinging confirm this?)
    Yeah, if each PC can ping the other, they are connected and communicating.

Quote Originally Posted by then Trio3b
    2. how to see/share files between PC's. Am not even sure of the process. Is this NFS? if so, how can I find out if the NFS is installed. Have been searching thru FC2 menus in the GUI....no luck. Found NFS mount points in Mandrake, but what to do with them?
    I'm not as sharp here, but I know it's NFS if you want to share files between two Linux machines. In FC3, in the GUI, Applications=>System Settings=>Services=>NFS to set up shares. You may need to start the nfs daemon which can be done somwhere in the GUI or with something like '/etc/init.d/nfsd start' at the command line. (emphasis on something like: do your own research...)

Quote Originally Posted by finally he
    3.Then I would like to let PC 2 connect to internet thru PC1.
    That will require IP forwarding and what is loosely refered to as masquerading. Best guide to get there or close quickest is here
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better