Find the answer to your Linux question:
so ok. i have a computer running mandrake 10.1. my brother has a computer running windows xp. we wanted to make a network on our two computers to share stuff ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

please, help, i beg :( (home lan)

so ok. i have a computer running mandrake 10.1. my brother has a computer running windows xp. we wanted to make a network on our two computers to share stuff and play games. that's the situation.

so i plug the wire in his computer, then in mine. using windows, i setup the lan. windows shows his computer, but not mine.
    then i go on mine and naively try to setup the lan. nothing works. just nothing. i thought linux was wonderful for networking, but im a lot disappointed.

but then i dont know much about networking. i know that at my appartment, with my roomate, it works. what the crisse am i doing wrong?
    ok, i go in system configuration, setup new connection, lan connection, choose my ethernet card, let the dhcp stuff determine my ip address then finishes. but no, nothing. smb:/ says there are no computers or networks or whatever.

could you make a "network walkthrough imagining im a 3 years old mentally retarded kid and that i am drunk". step by step.

anyone?

please

First things first...does he have the WinXP firewall on? If he does, it would block smb communication.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    Your network maybe setup, but it souds like Samba is not.

Try this, if you open Linneighborhood, can you see the Windows box?
    You may want to google for samba, as that's what you need to network Lin and Win together. Also, try SWAT, the GUI front end to samba.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    oh you're pointing out information no one pointed me to before, and i like that
    so firts, i would i know if he actived his windows firewall? personnaly, i never did that, but him i dont know.
    then for samba. i've already heard about that, but never knew what it was. im roaming about samba.org. but do i need to install it on both windows and linux?

For the Windows firewall, there should be a widget in the Control Center...in Service Pack 2 installs there is a Security Center widget in there.

If his firewall is off and smb:// still doesn't work for you, you could try linneighborhood or smb4k to browse the network. If you have your install cds with you, you can just install them through the Install module in the Software section of the Mandrake Control Center (or use
    Code:
    urpmi smb4k

If you don't have your disks with you, you could add an internet source for your installation media:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

That site will walk you through the process (the main repository is the regular install sources). If you do that, then go into the Media Manager section of the Software module and uncheck the cds as install sources.

It's not a bad idea to add the contrib and plf sources, too...they'll give you things like the codecs needed to watch pretty much any video (w32codecs or win32codecs), java runtime environments, realplayer, etc.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    No, you don't need to install Samba on Windows. If you install linneighborhood, it will automatically install samba for you.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    ok so now the firewall on the lan connection is off, but the smb:/// still doesnt work. i installed samba with the cds but yet, i have no idea how it works. i think i still need to download SWAT but im on a 56k here, it might be long. when i wanted to install smb4k, it said it was already installed. how do i start it?
    could you explain how samba works? just the large lines, configuration and how to start it... i just need to get that network working.

thanks a lot guys

Just Joined!
    well why don't u try the following and see
    1. on ur Linux box type service iptables stop to stop the Lin default firewall

2. locate /etc/samba/smb.conf and edit the part that reads SHARES

3. well on the other try using the SWAT if u av it installed. just type this any of ur browsers http://127.0.0.1:901 to start SWAT

4. Hack ur way thru and create ur shares. find out about linneighborhood and other Lin/Win communication tools

5. It's cool but nothing comes easy though!

Or, because it's Mandrake (and they make file sharing a touch easier) you could use the Mandrake Control Center. Go to the Mount Points section and click on Local disk sharing. You can tell it there whom you want to be able to share folders, and tell it you want to use SMB for it. After you do that, you can just right-click on the folder you want to share and click on Share.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    ok i think i know what ill do. ill go insane. just that.
    i have installed samba. obviously, not SWAT because whenever i type http://whatever:901 it doesnt work. then i dont know what is linnenebourhood but it sounds very fine. so i downloaded it on this computer. but the floppy drive is broken. then on my linux computer, the modem doesnt work so i cant connect and download it and my usb drive doesnt work neither. nothing i can do.
    then that windows computer sees itself on its network but doesnt see my computer. and my computer sees nothing. i went in the mount point and samba share. i clicked on detect servers. there was a server called link (how i call it). then i deleted the connection and there was no server called link in the samba sharing. i created the connection again and it was back. so i didnt even know what it meant.
    yeah i think ill just format it all, close the computer for 2 days, take walks, watch movies, and then maybe open it again.

thanks a lot guys for trying to help me in my despaired attempts at simply plugging a wire and two computers. ill keep the thread link and ill come back see it for the information you gave when ill want to try again networking here.

thanks again