Find the answer to your Linux question:
after spending time on squid and iptables i found that iptables mean linux treated as router (masquerade) work fast as compare to squid proxy server why i don't know on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

speed comparison

after spending time on squid and iptables i found that

iptables mean linux treated as router (masquerade) work fast as compare to squid proxy server
    why i don't know

on client side i checked this speed
    when ever i open yahoo through masquerade , the side opens with in
    6 seconds (average) on dial up speed
    but when i chage the browser setting to proxy seting , the speed decrase to 10 to 15 and some time more than 18 seconds on the same site.

what is this ?

without cache speed is fast why ?

Linux Newbie
    That's the very nature of a caching proxy server. When you request an object (web page, image, etc), squid has to check it's local cache to see if it already has that file, then if it does, check to make sure it is current enough to be considered good. If it is, it'll give you the object. If not, it goes and fetches it, then stores it in the cache, then gives you the object. Thus, double the time, easily.
    Blog - KB5UMQ - Linux User #272983
    3 Rules:
    1) "It doesn't work..." is simply not useful information.
    2) Don't cross post!
    3) If you are asking for help, start by telling us your distro/os and version.

Just Joined!

join the two wired network with wireless

friends

i have two problems

i am running my cable net. first of all tell me what is the best way for cabling
    (in cable secure point of view )
    under ground or over bulidings/houses

oops it is related to networking not wireless net

anyhow 2nd problem is

now i want to join two wired area network with wireless.
    the reason behind is because of main road and it is not possible for me the
    to cross the road with wire (underground or over ) because of my government policy.

what can i do know ?
    tell me the easiest and not costly solution

Linux Newbie
    you could use ssh, or virtual private networking. This will work as long as you have access to the internet with your machines in different buildings. As far as the cost it would be the cheapest way to go because all the things needed are already with the operating system and if it is connected to the web you are all set. The only thing would be for you to set up the operating system to work with it.
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd