Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two switches on my network, one a 16 port 10/100 and the other an 8 port DLINK 10/100. The problem is on the 8 port switch. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

two switches one network

I have two switches on my network, one a 16 port 10/100 and the other an 8 port DLINK 10/100. The problem is on the 8 port switch.

I have the 8 port switch connected into the 16 port and AFAIK the way I have done it is right. It all works fine, I can see the computers on the other side and they have been able to join the domain and log in(kind of once or twice). If a second person logs in then it hangs all network connections on that switch. So, a couple of questions:
    • What software can I use to troubleshoot this problem? (possibly on both sides of the problem)
      Could anyone point me to a resource so I can check that the switches are connected correctly

Thanks

Being switches, i assume they're auto sensing, if they are auto sensing, it wont matter if u use a straight through cable, or a crossover cable. I have had it working with either.

As for apps to test it, i am not too sure.... sorry. Maybe some sort of network monitoring app could help out somehow??
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    I just tried to install Ethereal using the RPMs supplied with Mandrake 10.1 but it will not start. I am going to have to do some reading on the tool. Any other suggestions on possible tools?

Maybe I can see if there is anything on Ultimete Boot CD that would help??? Try that later.

Hmmmm