Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gettin Linux to recognize a USB wireless adapter?

Hi. I have a sad laptop - I could go into the details but what's ultimatly happend is that my PCMCIA slot doesn't work, and neither does my ethernet port. This leaves me in a sad situation as far as networking goes.

I tried using 1394, plugging it into my XP system, but all I recall is that I couldn't get that to work. So I went out and bought one of those USB wireless 802.11 B adapters. What didn't occur to me was that Linux isn't nearly as forgiving as windows when it comes to plug and play devices. I have a power light on the adapter, but Linux seems to give me no indication that it's even installed. I went to network configuration and all it sees are eth0 (my LAN port that doesn't work) and eth1 (my 1394 port). How do I get it to recognize my USB adapter as an eth2? Furthermore, how do I configure it to detect my network SSID and such? Does Mandrake come with such a utility or do I need to install another piece of software?

Please say no - as I've said there's no networking, the laptop has no CDRom drive. Needless to say, getting files to and from this beast is less than easy - to install Linux I had to take the HD out of the laptop and use an adapter to plug it into my desktop system.

what happened to that laptop!?

well heres what i would try goto system>mandrake control center>net and internet>create a new connection>wireless

and select whatever it is (what is it exactly can you tell us)

it may or may not need drivers from the cd (yeah i said drivers)

if thats the case i would copy the files i needed from the cd to the hard disk (the same way you got mandrake on the hd)

well thats just my suggestion tell us how it goes.

What happened to the laptop? Well the ethernet port went about a year ago during a lightning storm. At that point I used a linksys wireless card. The hd was also making noises, so I replaced it with one with a Linux install, and in the process managed to screw up the PCMICA connector somehow.

The card is an SMC2662W. Mandrake didn't come with drivers for it, so I ran a quick google search and found this:

That doesn't look good - I barley scrape by with my pathetic Linux knowledge as it is... this guy ended up compiling my own drivers, and still didn't get ideal results... :S

The CD only has drivers for win2k, 98, and XP - that that wouldn't help.

Any other bright ideas, or is everyone going to direct me to the instructions in the thread I just linked to?

4. $spacer_open
    i don't know how much help i'll be since i don't have a laptop, wireless, or even that many usb devices.

but after doing a bit of searching i saw a SMC2662WV2_Linux.tar.gz floating around (couldn't find an actual source to download though)

but i also noticed that had drivers (and a linux catagory). i couldn't go futher then that becuase i didn't have the product #

i hope this helps