Find the answer to your Linux question:
Has anyone gone through the process of connecting to the internet through a a LAN and a dial-up connection. I am running my Linux machine with Fedora Core 3 (my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet access through a LAN

Has anyone gone through the process of connecting to the internet through a a LAN and a dial-up connection. I am running my Linux machine with Fedora Core 3 (my modems are internal and hence not recognized). To connect to the net I hooked it to my WinXP2 box via a cross-over cable. Now I can access my internet with no problem. Except that no web pages except google will load. Through a lot of research I found that a web browser will request a confirmation of the address and because I am connecting thru another machine I think that my address is in conflict.
    Anyone any ideas or solutions?
    Pieter

Just Joined!
    If I am not wrong, u have two machines one with WinXp2 and other with linux installed having a LAN card. I use an internal modem to connect to the internet. However, I can just tell u that you need to configure your IP address of the linux machine as put your WinXp2 as the proxy server for it to receive data packets from the internet. I dont know whether this is 100% correct but, cud be a possible solution. The only intriguing fact was this sentence

except google will load

I wonder how!!!

Just Joined!
    Try http://linmodems.org to see if they have driver for your modem first.

Alternatively, you can try installing a proxy server on your Windows machine (for example http://www.proxyplus.cz/download.php?lang=en) and edit proxy settings in your browser and it should be working.