Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to this forum and I am sure that i will get the solution of my problem outta here. So Linux gurus here is it............... I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help Needed!!

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am sure that i will get the solution of my problem outta here.

So Linux gurus here is it...............

I would like to build a small LAN with about 10 PCs which are of the config
    C.P.U. - 200 to 300 Mhz
    RAM 32 to 64 MB
    Stand Alone Systems and No Server
    HDD 10 to 40 GB

I would like to keep one with higher config as the server and rest all will be the client, but this will be dump client with no harddisk or so, so that they will connect to the server for all the software that they require,

I would like to know which destro will be best suited for this setup keeping in mind the configuration of the PCs,
    I would like to have some suggestion from you guys, I am thinking of RedHat but then the config of my PCs will be the problem, do you guys think that this will be the possible with RedHat.?

Just Joined!
    Well, redhat 9 cud be a good selection, but the graphical usage for it requires at least 192 MB of RAM. May be an older redhat linux cud serve the purpose. However, please provide the configuration of your server and as you are keeping a thin client, and may be they may be able to boot of easily and work on...I am not sure about that. However, consider having a RAM of around 128 MB (just considering future requests and updates) .....

Also specify the purpose of connecting "these" computers in LAN, so configurations and their use....can be considered and a good disto can be suggested that will satisfactorly serve the purpose.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply dude !

Here is my server config

256Mb of RAM
    P4 processor
    CPU 1.7 GHz
    HDD about 40 - 80GB

What i want to do is set up networking so that the client PC connect with the server for the various application that will be installed on the server machine, so instead of the application installed on the client the client will access it form the server. Application like Office, photoshop, Tally(Accounting software), and some programs that are written in Visual Basic, this can be done using wine. But the point out here is the client will do it form the server.

Also do you think any lower version of Redhat say Redhat 7 or 8 will make it possible to connect to the server which will have RedHat FC.

Thanks and Regards

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    Oh wow!,what a co-incidence, I have the same configuration for my Home PC. (HDD only of 40GB) and I have RH9 installed. May be you can go for Fedora Core 3, as it is having the latest kernel, but I am doubtful about it memory requirements. It

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/
    FEDORA PROJECT

says that 256 is recommended. And one important thing, see that it is not share with video memory. And, the applications you have mentioned, some are related to the windows envirionment, and may be wine wouldn't suffice for photoshop. However, if u are able to then its good! Lower version, probably redhat 8 will be able to serve the purpose stated.[/url]

Linux User
    You could try Fedora Core 3. I've seen a lot of servers with Fedora installed. Slackware wouldn't be a bad choice either.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply................

Also I would like to know if i can use terminal service to connect to the server from the localclient and then use the applications form the server, also is it possible to save the files that i create during this in my local PC.

Can you guys suggest any good terminal service packages that can work on both FC3 and RedHat 8 or 9.....

If possble please send me some link regarding this too.

Thanks