Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi people, having a bit of a connection problem. My setup consists of a router to hub to LAN. This all works fine but my Debian 9.2 for some reason ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    asm
    Just Joined!

no Internet?

Hi people, having a bit of a connection problem. My setup consists of a router to hub to LAN. This all works fine but my Debian 9.2 for some reason wonít connect to the Internet via the hub. I can ping the router and ifconfig shows that the IP address of the machine is 10.0.0.7, which is correct, and the mask is set at 255.0.0.0 but I canít see the gateway with this command? I think the gateway is set correct but could do with checking this somehow. Any suggestions appreciated, thx ASM

Does setting the gateway with the route command help?

Code:
    route add default gw <ip address of gateway> eth0
    If you can ping the router but not external addresses (try pinging 4.2.2.1), then I'd say your gateway isn't set properly. If you can ping external ip addresses, then your internet problem is most likely dns-related; you can set your nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

asm
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply and direction, I know nothing about nameservers. I will have a look through my admin book and see where that takes me. Thx again

So you can ping external addresses then? What does your /etc/resolv.conf file look like? All you would need to do to add a DNS server would be to add a line to your /etc/resolv.conf file...this would work:

Code:
    nameserver    4.2.2.1
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

asm
    Just Joined!
    the file shows my webs address? yes i can ping the BT server. should the file show the IP of the router?

The file should show the ip address of your DNS server. My example included a DNS server that I know works (it's Verizon's DNS server for this area).

- Jeremy S. Anderson

asm
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply again. That was the problem. I entered my DNS server and hey-presto! Thx again

No problem...glad you're up and running.

- Jeremy S. Anderson