Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, this is my main problem. I add the JetDirect printer with the printconf tool, everything works fine, i'm able to print fine from client machines. Then I realized ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding a JetDirect printer HELP!

Hi all, this is my main problem. I add the JetDirect printer with the printconf tool, everything works fine, i'm able to print fine from client machines. Then I realized that everything I print gets recorded in an account file. This is the af: entry in the etc/printcap file. Since the company I work ata prints ALOT of files, it wouldn't be practical to have everything we print recorded. The file would grow very long, very fast. So what I thought of doing is adding a printer manually with the printcap.local file. Everything worked fine, I can see the printer through the network, but I can't send anything to print. Basically what I did was copied the entry which was created for me when I added the printer with the printconf utility and just commented out the line that said af: . Was this right? I also created the script.cfg file in /var/spool/lpd/printername/ which contains the ip and port number of the printer. This still didn't work. Anyone have any other suggestions tht would help me at all? Anything would be great, thanks!

Just Joined!
    Actually, let me redefine that, after looking over the folder of my printer on /var/spool/lpd/printername/, I realized that other types of logs are made too. I WANT THESE ALL GONE! Any way of doing this? It would be great if I can.

Linux Enthusiast
    It is the nature of how LPD actually works, this is the same for CUPS as well.
    Since the files records if the file ever was printed as well, you just cant drop them into /dev/null either. You'll need them. However, you should be able to write a short script that removes all files that are one [1] day or older, and start this "purge" script from your CRONTAB

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ummm I'm sorry, Idon't understand what you are saying. I'm extremely new to Linux, i've been using it for 3 days. I had past knowledge but not much. Any way to explain this more clearly? And also, the company I work at might print well over 10000 pages a day, so even if they get deleted everyday the file is still to big. Is there anything else I can do? Please help me.

The reason i'm using Linux is because I am doing my internship here. I did not choose to do this type of work. They assigned it to me.

Thanks for reply

Linux Enthusiast
    Ok, well, this is how it works, LPD stores all print-requests in a log/process file, where LPD knows if a particullar file/document has been printed, and where in the queue it is for a certain time. You'll need the queue handling when you have a network print resource, otherwise you will end up in a non-working scenario. This is the reason why you need the logging. So what I suggest is that you could clear out the spool directory of files once a day or more if you wish.
    Do you have over 10000 pages/day per printer?

Just Joined!
    Not per printer but over 4 printers, so far i've installed 2 on linux and the 2 others are coming. Right now, I am only performing tests on them and no one else is allowed to use them. So how would I clear the contents of these files? I've realized that there is at least 3 files in which information is stored when I print something. A status file, an account file and something else. I would like to clear all of these files (since I can't remove them completely or stop the recording).

I'm really sorry again, but I don't understand the reason why I need these files? I'm very very sorry, im a real noobie to this. And once again, thank you for responding to me!

Just Joined!
    Ohhh, and also, when I set up my printers and smb.conf file I used a book and some resources on the net. For further question purposes, what type of printing am I using. You say LPD? Is this it? What other types are there? You said CUPS too? Thank you again and sorry for giving you much hassle

Linux Enthusiast
    Yes, you are using LPD as far as I could get from your previous messages, "/var/spool/lpd/xxx"
    Actually, I would suggest you to take a look into CUPS as your primary printing system, since LPD is very very old and not that much of admin-tools are avalible unless you are into CLI.
    Cups comes with a pretty good admin interface via WEB-browser.

Just Joined!
    Is it posible to get an answer from the post before that please? It would be greatly appreciated :P

Linux Enthusiast
    Sure, but it is much easier if you state which version of LPD you are using, start out with telling which distro you are running under, that might give a clue on which LPD version you are on.