Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK ive got this old ISA modem that works in windoze 95, but not in linux. Its rather old (28k) and win95 reports it as being a 'standard modem' but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

getting standard 28k modem working in (vector) linux...

OK ive got this old ISA modem that works in windoze 95, but not in linux. Its rather old (28k) and win95 reports it as being a 'standard modem' but can't get it to work in linux. Connects up allright, but cant load any web pages (or whatever).
    Don't think its a winmodem...
    Same with another 56k ISA one (win95 couldn't detect it, worked straight off in mandrake 9.0 )

Any ideas??

cheers

Just Joined!
    You cannot ping any machine correct? Do you have any firewalls up?IF those are both "No" then i belive i know what you need. The VERy first time i used Linux i had a similar problem. I had a buddy of mine look at it. hehad to send a string to the modem before connecting.. Not the initialization string but something else. I'll look for it. Until then if anybody knows it off hand please post?

Michel

when your Modem connects (shown in messages by 'tail /var/log/messages') does PPP start?

If not, then there is your problem.

If it does, then can you ping something (like 'ping www.this_site_does_not_exist') ?

have fun

Nerderllo

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    you wont be able to ping www.this_site_does_not_exist, im blocking ICMP, ping www.yahoo.com instead.

Jason