Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm thinking about connecting with an internet via GPRS. I havn't bluetooth so i will need cable. Do you have any experience with it?? Are there any special packeges ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

connecting with internet via GPRS

Hi,
    I'm thinking about connecting with an internet via GPRS. I havn't bluetooth so i will need cable. Do you have any experience with it??
    Are there any special packeges needed to do it?
    How configure network to connect via mobile phone.
    If Ubuntu Warty has any problems with finding new modem??
    Regards

Just Joined!

Bluetooth

I've used bluetooth with SuSe Linux 9.3 Pro
    Though I haven't tried to connect to the internet with it.
    SuSE Linux isn't that good with bluetooth (it doesn't have programs assaciated with services)
    It's probably possible but I don't know how

Just Joined!
    I have been trying to do the same thing my self. I have Cingular with the Motorola V551. Linux sees it fine, but i need to find out the number to dial for the gprs/edge so i can use it, btu i havent been able to get ppp to find my phone as a modem. FC3 sees the phone in the hardware thingy, but i cant't get it to dial.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ive connected using bluetooth and a nokia 6810, download about 200 megs before the bastards at o2 finally decided i was a liability not an asset

I've been connecting from SuSE 9.2 for several months now, via Bluetooth, a Nokia 6600, and T-Mobile. It is really cool. Try this, this is a shell script I made that connects with one click:

Code:
    mknod /dev/rfcomm0 c 216 0
    rfcomm connect /dev/rfcomm0  00:0E:6D:33:B8:E5 &
    sleep 5s
    cinternet -I --interface-number=01 -A --start
    Replace my phone's MAC address with the one for your phone. Use hcitool to find the MAC address:

Code:
    > hcitool scan
    I can't remember what else, if anything, I had to set up initially to make this script work. I do know that I had to set the SUID bit on 'mknod' so I wouldn't have to enter my root password every time I tried to connect.

I got all this from someone else's web site that I can't seem to find anymore. I will tell you that this works like a charm for me. I can connect anytime, anywhere. It never fails. Feel free to ask my any questions about my setup.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Just Joined!
    How do you make the script executable? Also is cinternet a package I need to install? When I try to just use the last line it says that the command is not found.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamabama
    I've been connecting from SuSE 9.2 for several months now, via Bluetooth, a Nokia 6600, and T-Mobile. It is really cool. Try this, this is a shell script I made that connects with one click:

Code:
    mknod /dev/rfcomm0 c 216 0
    rfcomm connect /dev/rfcomm0  00:0E:6D:33:B8:E5 &
    sleep 5s
    cinternet -I --interface-number=01 -A --start
    Replace my phone's MAC address with the one for your phone. Use hcitool to find the MAC address:

Code:
    > hcitool scan
    I can't remember what else, if anything, I had to set up initially to make this script work. I do know that I had to set the SUID bit on 'mknod' so I wouldn't have to enter my root password every time I tried to connect.

I got all this from someone else's web site that I can't seem to find anymore. I will tell you that this works like a charm for me. I can connect anytime, anywhere. It never fails. Feel free to ask my any questions about my setup.