Find the answer to your Linux question:
It's me again Basically, continuing from the subject above, I got the drivers for Mandrake, kernel 2.6.3.7, checked the kernel source had been installed from the installation discs (it had) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lucent Winmodem with Linux Kernel 2.6.3.7

It's me again

Basically, continuing from the subject above, I got the drivers for Mandrake, kernel 2.6.3.7, checked the kernel source had been installed from the installation discs (it had) and so followed the instructions on this page (http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=13773) to compile the drivers.

After "compiling" I installed kppp. I used the Internet connection option in the Control Centre to set up a dialup connection. When I tried to select Lucent modem for the modem, it said "sorry, we only support 2.4 kernels and above" so I selected Manual Choice instead. I set it to port COM1. I tested the connection using kppp and it kept "initialising modem" indefinitely. It just occurred to me that in Windows, it says the modem is connected to COM3.

As for the compiling, I think that's where the problem is. Here's what happened (referring to the link above):

Code:
    cp -v *.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/other
    told me:
    Code:
    Cannot stat `*.ko`; No such file or directory
    and
    Code:
    modprobe ltserial
    told me:
    Code:
    Module ltserial not found
    I followed all the instructions exactly. All the other commands worked fine, no errors. I'm not really familiar with installing/compiling anything on Linux, so whatever I'm doing wrong is probably simple but I can't see it. Please help.

Thanks in advance ^_^

Just Joined!
    You should use a non standart driver for Lucent/Agere modems to work with 2.6.x kernels
    you may download it here
    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pack...-alk-7.tar.bz2
    you should also have installed kernel source to make it compiled
    Just simply follow the instructions...
    But really it took me several hours to make the same device work...

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response. I did follow the instructions exactly though, with exactly the right sources. What else can I try to make it work?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Have you tried a driver from a link i've given?

after copying modules to /lib/moudels/`uname -r`/other
    did you run
    depmod -a
    ?

Allso yo may look if the make or copy procedure had not failed - look are there ltmodem.ko and ltserial.ko in the /lib/modeules/`uname-r`/other directory

in order to make my particular modem work I corrected the symlink ltmdmobj.o in driver source to ltmdmobj.o-pre-8.31
    the original symlink is broken so make fails - anytime you shold correct this
    but your device may work with ltmdmobj.o-8.31, not ltmdmobj.o-pre-8.31

P S use wvdial instead of kppp

Just Joined!
    Yes, I ran depmod -a.

I couldn't find any .ko files in that directory at all. That link is the exact same one I was using.

I'll try wvdial tomorrow (when I'm not using the internet on the windows partition) and see how it goes.

Just Joined!
    It seems that make has failed
    fix the above mentioned symlink and post output of make

Just Joined!
    I tried making both of the changes but make still failed. It said it was an Error 2.

Do I need to try ./configure first? I tried, and it said there was no such folder.

I must be missing some very fundamental steps here.