Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just curious if anybody ran into this before? After setting up my network.. netconfig and then ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.101 I go to lynx www.yahoo.com and it says "searching yahoo.com first" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

TCP/IP

Just curious if anybody ran into this before? After setting up my network.. netconfig and then ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.101
    I go to lynx www.yahoo.com and it says "searching yahoo.com first"
    than "searching yahoo.com.com (guessing)" it then goes through .net .edu .org and blah blah .. then it says /usr/local/yahoo.com *something*
    Cannot open document.

I can ping my router.. i can ping 127.0.0.1 but i can't ping anything off of my network. I know it's an easy fix i just can't figure it out Thanks

Michael

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I'd start with just basic connectivity. Sounds like you can't get through your router. This could be due to several reasons:

Issue of pinging outside ip's

1. Misconfiguration of router to your isp. i.e wrong gateway, subnet mask, blocking all outbound traffic etc....

2. Firewall is blocking access at router.

I can ping my router.. i can ping 127.0.0.1
    Thats your internal loopback address so your pinging yourself. If you know your internal ip of your router try pinging it.

netconfig and then ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.101
    Did you set a fixed ip on your box or did you setup your linux box and router to use DHCP via the router?

Last is are you using a host file ?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    i already have a network setup.. the network has been up for about a year. I am just adding the linux box. Yea i know the 127.0.0.1 is the loopback. I can ping my internal IP address on the router. I can ping the router. I can ping EVERYTHING internel but nothing external. and every other computer works on the net.

Mike

p.s. and it's a static IP .. i tried the Dynamic IP but that didn't worth either.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    So you'v emade it clear its not the internnal net. Then that leaves your router and it setup. I'd review it, and turn off any firewall option until you resolve your connection issue.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    I feel really really stupid.. The whole problem was i misspelled my hostname and didn't realize it .. i'm online with my new slackware box right now thanks for your help fastlanwan .. i guess hooked on phonics really didn't work

michael