Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have 4 computers that are all connected to two local networks (network A and network B) with separated network-cards. Each computer is currently configured with two ip-numbers (one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is a bridge the way to go?

Hi
    I have 4 computers that are all connected to two local networks (network A and network B) with separated network-cards. Each computer is currently configured with two ip-numbers (one for each network card).

Current ip-table look like this:
    Computer 1: 10.10.10.10 and 20.20.20.10
    Computer 2: 10.10.10.20 and 20.20.20.20
    Computer 3: 10.10.10.30 and 20.20.20.30
    Computer 4: 10.10.10.40 and 20.20.20.40

I would like to have the system to work like this:
    Computer 1 and 2 should reach computer 3 and 4 on the same ip-number as before.
    Computer 3 and 4 should reach computer 1 and 2 on the same ip-number as before.
    Computer 3 and 4 should reach each other with help of both networks but with only one ip-number. So if I have a connection between 3 and 4, the connection should not go down if I remove one network cable from computer 3 or computer 4.

Is there any good solution for my problem?

I hope you understand my problem, it is little bit hard to explain.

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi,

if I get this correct you want to have a fault tolerant network where each NIC should be standby for the other, Right?
    Well, then you should use NIC-bridging and assign the bridged NIC 1 [ONE] IP address, since you can't realy trust IP as a fault tolerant protocol, since what you expect is that whatever NIC-cable you disconnect, you will still have all your sessions intact. So I would go for the bridging.

Just Joined!
    Hi
    Thanks for the answer.

If I configure computer 3 also to use a bridge over the two network cards with a new ip-number, will then the original ip-numbers continue to work? The computer is then using 3 ip-numbers, 1 for each network card and 1 for the bridge. Is that allowed?

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi,

I guess I have to explain my self a bit better here,
    I do assume that what you are looking for is a fault tolerant system, where none of the servers should be dependent on a NIC, Cable or switch port, is this a correct assumption?

If it is, the you should not configure your servers with multiple IP addresses and absolutly not configure them to use different IP networks. Since IP is not a good way to handle network fault tolerances, you shall only look into the core. That's why I said that you should consider configuring your NIC's as bridged network interfaces, and then yes, you need ONE [1] IP address for this bridge connection, and there for you will not need any extra IP on each NIC. Got it? If you do have multiple networks, as you explained as well, but thos networks are in fact separate LAN's and thats why you need to configure different IP networks as well, then you shall/should set up a set of routers, and use some dynamic routing protocol as OSPF or equal to ensure fault tolerance between the IP networks.