Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey all. I am very new to Linux - Just got it yesterday and installed it. I posted the below question in the Laptop forum, but once I saw there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Configuring Wireless on mandrake 10.1

Hey all. I am very new to Linux - Just got it yesterday and installed it. I posted the below question in the Laptop forum, but once I saw there was a networking specific forum, I figured I'd try it in here as well.

I have a Compaq Presario x1000 dual-boating Win XP Pro & Mandrake Powerpack 10.1. The wireless card is Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (yes its a Centrino setup).

Linux detects the card and sees it and has drivers for it and everything - no problem. My problem is in the configuration in Mandrake. I am running WEP on the WAP, and I've put in all the settings I know (for instance the SSID broadcast name and the WEP key - but then there are other text fields (I believe one of them was frequency) and several others that I have no idea what to put in for them. Is anyone able to walk me through my configuration so I can get my wireless to work?

Also - I'm thinking I may need an actual wireless program? Everything I've just talked about was the "hardware" configuration - I may actually need a program that handles the wireless profiles and all that stuff? Any help is greatly appreciated (remember though - I'm new to Linux - so please be detailed if at all possible!)

Thanks!

~Anthony

It would help if you could tell us what the other fields are. You can probably check the "correct" settings by looking at the adapter's properties in Windows and reproducing them in Mandrake, if nothing else. Usually the defaults are ok for most networks.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Enthusiast
    One you have configured your Wireless adapter in Mandrake Controll Center, you should be just fine to get WLAN access. However, I suggest that you install KWiFiManager where you will be able to Monitor your connection.
    The Channel/Freq settings is something you should not need to configure, but if you whish to set them, the Channel/Freq shall/should be the same as you set on your Access Point. Most default configurations is set to Channel 6.
    And as you said, you have enabled WEP, make sure you really use the same WEP key as you typed upon your Access Point, did you use a Hex code or an Ascii WEP key? If you choosed HEX WEP key, and you are using 108(12 bit encryption the key length HAS to be 26 HEX characters (0-9,A-F), if you choosed an Ascii WEP key, the maximum length in 108(12 key-length is 13 characters. You did write WAP, did you mean WPA? If so, I would actually suggest you to start with turn that off right now, just to make sure that you will be able to connect to your access point.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I think he meant Wireless Access Point.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Enthusiast
    Yeah, I guess you are right, just wanted to make sure that he has not enabled WPA as well, since the WPA support is not the best (read easiest) in Linux. It is good support, but I have not found any easy GUI config tools for it yet.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    I think he meant Wireless Access Point.
    Yea - I meant WAP - Wireless Access Point

I am using 64 bit WEP and I am using the hex option. I put in the hex key correctly (double checked it) but then nothing seems to happen.

As I said, I'm really new to all this -- KWiFiManager where can I get it, what does it do (manage wireless profiles is my guess?) and how do I install it (I'm still figuring all that "make" and RPM stuff to install software for Linux).

...as far as those other fields, when I get back home (I'm at work right now) I'll get those fields and post them - so ya'll can let me know if I need to even worry about them.

Thanks again all!

~Anthony

Linux Enthusiast
    Ok, if you are on WEP 64, make sure that you HEX code is exactly 13 characters, and that they only include 0-9 and/or A-F.
    Sorry to say, that is is not all the time that KWiFiManager will keep track on different profiles for you. Me my self is not using Intel Centrino, I have choosen IMO and for my purposes Atheros chipset which fits my needs a bit better. And with the Atheros chipset, the profiles inside KWiFiManager wont work, but might be working better for you with your Intel Centrino. Give it a shoot. However, you could issue command /sbin/iwconfig from a command shell where you would see actual information about you current WLAN state at you LapTop

Did you save the configuration and then restart your network services? If you haven't, then you should. The command line way is
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/network restart
    On some systems it's /etc/init.d/network, on some it's /etc/init.d/networking.

With Mandrake, software installation is easy. Just open up the Mandrake Control Center (Configure Your Computer in the Settings section of kmenu) and go to the software section. You can add/remove software there, among other things. Do a search for kwifi and it should come up.

I would also recommend you check out this site in order to give your system a wider range of available software for easy installation; it will walk you through the process. I would recommend configuring at least the plf and contrib sources. http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by swemic
    Ok, if you are on WEP 64, make sure that you HEX code is exactly 13 characters, and that they only include 0-9 and/or A-F.
    Sorry to say, that is is not all the time that KWiFiManager will keep track on different profiles for you. Me my self is not using Intel Centrino, I have choosen IMO and for my purposes Atheros chipset which fits my needs a bit better. And with the Atheros chipset, the profiles inside KWiFiManager wont work, but might be working better for you with your Intel Centrino. Give it a shoot. However, you could issue command /sbin/iwconfig from a command shell where you would see actual information about you current WLAN state at you LapTop
    I got the wireless to work fine w/out encryption turned on. (YAY!)
    Encryption seems to be what is not working.

You said 13 characters - on my Wireless router (linksys) 64 bit makes you select a key # (there are a total of 4) and then each key # has a generated hex number. The hex numbers listed though are 10 hex digits -not 13.

The linux wireless configuration doesn't give any options what so ever for 64 bit and a key, or 128 bit. It just has a line for the encryption key - period. On my Windows box, if I'm running the 64 bit, I have to specify which key number.

...just so that I felt I tried most of everything, I tried switching my router over to 128 bit encryption and tried giving the linux box a 13 digit hex key. It didn't like that. I then also tried giving it the "pass-phrase" - that didn't work either.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks.
    ~Anthony

Just Joined!

got it working!

I had *exactly* the same problem. (newbie too here)

Right now i'am not behind my linux box, but I remember the fields...

The one in the top left (not sure) i gave the value "auto"

ESSID value st to: "smc" (as I did on my SMC router)
    RTC value to "off"
    encryption value set to: 00:00:00:00:00 (64 bits WEP, offcourse not really zero's...)

mail me if you want: lennartz@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast