Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello Frnds i m using Redhat 9.0 vth 128 MB RAM. I hav installed few packages in machine. the problem is my machine is very slow. while other machines vth ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux system is gettin SLOW

hello Frnds

i m using Redhat 9.0 vth 128 MB RAM. I hav installed few packages in machine.
    the problem is my machine is very slow. while other machines vth the same comfiguration(Hardware as well as software wise both) is not slow. they are quite fast in comparison to first machine.
    plz giveme the suggestion wat to do...

Puneet

Linux Enthusiast
    RH9 in a machine with 128MB, well, that was really a modest HW configuration. Anyhow, if you feel like you suffer from performance, and all other computers are equal configured what so ever with compatible HW. Check that you only start the same services/deamons on the "slow" machine as you do on the "faster" ones. However, I could not loudly enough encourage you to upgrade your memory to at least 256MB if you are NOT using X window at all, but yet, you shoudl consider upgrade to 512MB or more.

Quote Originally Posted by swemic
    RH9 in a machine with 128MB, well, that was really a modest HW configuration. Anyhow, if you feel like you suffer from performance, and all other computers are equal configured what so ever with compatible HW. Check that you only start the same services/deamons on the "slow" machine as you do on the "faster" ones. However, I could not loudly enough encourage you to upgrade your memory to at least 256MB if you are NOT using X window at all, but yet, you shoudl consider upgrade to 512MB or more.
    A good way to do this is to run "top" in a terminal. This will show you your swap usage as well as memory hog programs
    Mike

Also run df -h and that will show you partition size and usage - check to see if you are at a 100% on a partition
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hi MIke

one more problem....... According to you . i checked the swap partition by giving the command -- df -h. it showed

/dev/shm 61M(Available) 0M(Used) 61M(Free)

this is the swap partition which i think..
    now when i checked through "fdisl -l" it shows /dev/hdc3 Swap 61M

hdc = secpndary Master.. OK

now the doubt comes in to my mind is when i do -- cat /etc/fstab
    it shows swap partition as /dev/hdd3

now i m confused again.. and one more thing i did the partition by choosing Automatic Partition. i didnt go thru Diskdruid. now tel me wat to do ....

Puneet
    [/b]

Just Joined!
    turn off all unnecessary service ! if you using XWindows try using GNOME rather than KDE (RH 9.0 default Xwindows is GNOME heh)