Find the answer to your Linux question:
Everyone talks about how great and easy external serial modems are in Linux. I was wondering if anyone has worked with external USB modems, if they are any good, how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

External Modems

Everyone talks about how great and easy external serial modems are in Linux. I was wondering if anyone has worked with external USB modems, if they are any good, how easy they are to install and so on...

The first problem I see is that external serials are expensive $$$$$

Linux Guru

Re: External Modems

I can't say for USB modems, but I know that lots of users have posted here with problems with USB devices in general.

Quote Originally Posted by nubs_mcalichi
    The first problem I see is that external serials are expensive $$$$$
    If you can find a second-hand (used/preowned) serial modem, you will pay less. Windows users wouldn't know what to do with an external modem if they don't have an install CD for it, so serial modems are turning up in yard sales, online auctions and trash bins. I've gotten 2 good modems from eBay, each at about $25 and just recently I found one, like new in the box, left for trash. Works great.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Engineer
    Serial modems are not expensive. I just got one recently for $15 brand new. Look around on the internet you will find some good deals.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Stay away from USB externals, as they are usually much more difficult. External serial modems are pretty much, "plug and play." When not able to use my broadband connection, I use the Actiontec 56k v92 serial modem. I've used it with a lot of different distros and it has never given me trouble.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie

modems

Correct.......most USB modems are software modems, so stay away from them.

You can buy used external serial modems (usually hardware modems) from local Goodwill or thrift stores for under $10. I have purchased the last 2 for the kids PCs for $2 each. The only hassle is they generally don't have the AC adapter, but that takes about 5 min. to find one , usually at the same store. They don't require drivers and are generally fast for dial up. They do require some setup in Kppp or wvdial.

Of course, if you have access to DSL and a LAN card, that's the best.......no drivers and almost instant setup in a decent GUI, a little more time in CL if you're new to linux.

Good luck

Linux Engineer

Re: modems

Quote Originally Posted by Trio3b
    You can buy used external serial modems (usually hardware modems) from local Goodwill or thrift stores for under $10. I have purchased the last 2 for the kids PCs for $2 each. The only hassle is they generally don't have the AC adapter, but that takes about 5 min. to find one , usually at the same store. They don't require drivers and are generally fast for dial up. They do require some setup in Kppp or wvdial.
    Serial modems do require drivers, just as all hardware does. The thing is, the drivers it uses are the standard serial port drivers that are included in 99.9% of precompiled kernels, and are easily enabled (actually they are enabled default I think) when compiling your own kernel.