Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear In a network of 30 machines, few are LINUX & most of them are XP. I want net connectivity on my LINUX machines. How to configure it ? I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Get internet connection on LINUX m/c where net server is XP

Dear

In a network of 30 machines, few are LINUX & most of them are XP. I want net connectivity on my LINUX machines. How to configure it ? I am using broad band connection which is on XP machine. Network has been configured through router.
    I am able to access intranet from LINUX machines but HOW to get the net connectivity done on LINUX machines ?

DO I NEED TO CONFIGURE SAMBA ? PLease help.

Thanks a lot !!!

Re: Get internet connection on LINUX m/c where net server is

Quote Originally Posted by gupta_tuhina
    DO I NEED TO CONFIGURE SAMBA ? PLease help.
    Nope, if u have ICS set up on the XP machine, then it should be a simple case of setting up an IP address for the linux computer (assume this is done already) Then put the IP of the XP machine into the default gateway, setup a couple of DNS servers, and you should be all set.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

dew
    Just Joined!

Internet connection in LINUX in XP environment

My server is running XP. I am having 25 XP machines & 5 Linux. I am having broad band connection & connection to other computers is through router & switch.

I also run APACHE web server on my XP server. I have a data entry software running on server which requires a fixed IP. Hence the static ip has been provided to server as 192.168.0.100. The router has been configured to act as a dhcp server & ip is being automatically provided to all networked machine from router. Anyway LINUX machines have fixed ip. The software is accessed through browser from all networked machines including LINUX.

Now, if I do internet connection sharing on XP will it not hamper the total configuration ? I have to give 192.168.0.100 to my server. It cannot be given as 192.168.0.1 else the software will not run. The router's default configuration ip is 192.168.0.1 so 192.168.0.1 cannot be used. We are using NETGEAR router.

Please help !!!! ITS URGENT.....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    do the computers connect to the internet thru the XP machine? Or connected to the router via switches?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Newbie
    If the router hands out DHCP then just set the linux machine to use dhcp.
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.